Turbo Dodge Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Could you please elaborate on the source for your turbo exhaust housing? Are more available?
Do you mean the swing valve? The stock exhaust exits in the opposite direction than is desired for the engine mounting configuration, so the swing valve cast unit was cut and then material was added and welded to allow the exit to point more towards the rear of the engine.

Here is a picture of the modified 2.25" next to a stock 2.5". You can see the modifications on the mounted swing valve

Hope that answers your question.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Yes. Well, sort of. Did you do the modification? What type of filler material and welding wire/shielding gas did you use for the cast iron? Did you heat it up first?

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yes. Well, sort of. Did you do the modification? What type of filler material and welding wire/shielding gas did you use for the cast iron? Did you heat it up first?

Thanks for the response.
No I didn't, which limits my knowledge of how it was done. It does look like it was mended together with an oxy torch, rather than a tig, but i'm sure both would work fine with a proper pre-heat. I would have attempted it myself, but I only have a 120V mig in the corner.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Wow. Johny! Your a genius. There are like a thousand top halves sitting around peoples garages. Looneytuner has one by me. He installed a Lengel unit.
I'm looking to buy an upper half if you still know of one floating around. I posted a WTB in the forum here.

GKC

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Any updates on this thread? I started my Turbo project this past weekend. If you know who made that swing-valve I want to contact them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
As far as updates, I have been driving the truck just about daily right now. Almost have my ostrich tune running happily. Only issue is that I do have a good amount of blow-by at idle that I can feel with my palm even when the oil cap is off. Not happy, but compression is fine, and I've extensively vented the valve cover to avoid any issues until I am able to get a good leak-down tester from someone, and maybe a budget to tear back into the engine to investigate. I suppose it wouldn't be a project if there wasn't always something to do.
As far as the swing-valve goes, i'm sorry I wont be of any help. I've tried contacting the guy myself with no luck. Like I said before, it is just a 2.25" that was cut down the middle and then welded back together for the required bend. If you take it to a good backyard welder and explain your wants and needs with a stock piece i'm sure he could probably get what your looking for in an afternoon.
Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice write-up. Enjoyed your thought process and all done on a typical hot Rodgers shoe string budget. Well done. All the best PanDragger

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Right,

Its been quite some time since I have added to this thread but now I've got more to throw up. Just moved to another job so things got in the way but long story short.... The engine is back out....
I had issues with blow-by before but just continued to run the truck with an extreme amount of ventilation coming from the valve cover just to keep her on the road for the time being. As for the cause, my official guess is that I dusted the engine on a longer drive across Eastern Washington where I was caught in a dust storm (Yes we have those in Washington) and did not exactly have the most secure of air filters. I try not to dwell on the fact that I didn't do a good walk around before setting off. The past is in the past.
I now reside in Iowa which is a not so exciting change but I now have time and money to put into this engine, along with the abundant supply of E85 at the pump!

So! I pulled the engine last week and didn't wait to tear it down. Much easier the seventh time you've done it.

The bearings have definitely been scored and even though I didn't have a knock it was on its way. Cylinders also had a flat spot on the same side on each one and the obvious scoring all the way down! :surprise: I sucked something gnarly into this thing. Keep your air filters clean and connected! I am simply going to take this an a learning opportunity. Luckily I couldn't catch a nail on any of the marks to a good hone should do it.

Moving on!

I have never been entirely keen on the engine bay condition so I've decided to give it a fresh coat of paint. I didn't want anything fancy but something that looked pretty clean. Decided on a gunmetal/ grey colour. Easy enough.

Before:

A bit lazy on pulling the wiring off the wall but it should be good enough

And the final colour:

Its a rattle can job but it looks cleaner than it did before. I did take the time to wet sand between each coats and will probably throw on a clear when its all said and done. Currently have the block and crank at the machine shop. Old guy at the shop said it could just be polished up and sent back so that's the route i'm going to take.

So there's a shortish and sweet update on this build. The goal here is to have it back up and running, break it in and then tune it for E85.
Waiting on some more OBD connectors to get in so I can record knock and such but it should be a fun experience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Looks good! Plan on running it on E85? I'm running my PT GT and SRT-4 on corn, night and day difference.
E85 for sure. I've never messed with it before but I have the ostrich so it should be a fun project tuning.
Was planning on having the bottom end assembled this weekend, but apparently JE pistons take a different type of ring than stock. From everything i've read its only Wiseco that does that.... So not I have a box of rings that don't fit.

Just my luck

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wiseco and JE are now basically the same company. I was chatting with Mike from FM last week. He told me that the JEs are only available with TIII style rings(late 2.2 turbo), or SRT4 style rings now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Wiseco and JE are now basically the same company. I was chatting with Mike from FM last week. He told me that the JEs are only available with TIII style rings(late 2.2 turbo), or SRT4 style rings now.
Sounds about right. I just ordered some proper sized rings from Mike. Should hopefully have them by mid week. Its amazing the size difference between stock and what these things run!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I got the block back from the machine shop today. Night and day difference in the bore. Hopefully I can keep it this way and not mess it all up again!

One thing that has always bothered my since last building the engine was the darn oil hole to the head. From everything I have read about it, most block came with the restrictor, but some didn't. Same goes for the posts about whether it is necessary at all.... All I know is that I never had one so I decided to play it safe and put one in. Unfortunately my local dodge dealer had no idea what I was talking about and finding the darn thing online is nearly impossible. That being said, I did come across a forum where someone made one from a 40 cal bullet. Now that is something I can do!

It took about 15 minutes with a 1/8" drill bit and a dremel but it fit in pretty darn well

I have the correct sized piston rings in the mail which will hopefully be here mid week. At that point its everyday after work in the garage until she is back up and going.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That's awesome! Just a press fit?
Only kind of. I took a dremel with a sanding wheel and had to go around the outside of the case a few times to decrease the diameter. Also cut it in half and only kept the top portion. Put a light layer of Indian head on the outside and tapped it in with a hammer. Looks like it will work well but only one way to find out!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So, It's been pretty busy the past few weeks. My lease ended 10 days ago, so I had to both move out and also attempt to get the engine back into the truck in about two days. How I pulled it off I do not know. I do owe a good amount to user: detobias as I lost the key for the crankshaft and he was able to send me one just in time to get the engine reassembled!
Unfortunately I had ordered a new Cometic head gasket about a month and a half ago but it did not arrive in time. Luckily I had a newer Felpro sitting around so I gave it a copper spray coating and threw it in. It's not what I wanted but it should work until I get bored enough to pull the head again.

I was able to get the engine back in on a Friday, and then spent the entirety of Saturday trying to get the darn thing to start. She would crank for about 5-7 seconds and then slowly catch and run with a terrible vacuum of 10 hg. I checked and rechecked the timing and was unsuccessful until about 10:30 at night when I gave in and posted on the Shelby Dodge Facebook group. Luckily my "Picture for attention" was actually useful and someone caught that I had my distributor mounted 180 degrees off..... Its been a while since I have felt that dumb but at the same time I'm glad I didn't assemble the internals incorrectly.

Engine in, engine runs, filled the bed and moved the heck out the next day! I ran 30 weight oil for about 10 miles and then went to the O'Reillys special which Ill have in for about another 100 or so. Oil pressure is about 5-7psi greater than it was in the past now that the oil restrictor has been installed. Hopefully I will not need to pull this engine again for some time... or ever again!!!

Will probably break her in for another 500-1000 miles and then try my luck at tuning for E85. Hopefully I will also be able to make it to SDAC this year for at least a day

61 - 80 of 80 Posts