Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dodge community! I am very new to mechanics! I am very happy to say I've managed to get my hands on a 1990 Dodge shadow, turbo! She needs a little help though. My boyfriend and I would love any information on its vacuum lines! There is atleast one line from the larger house the splits the four, that has been cut. And one larger house above, that splits into two other hoses. I know these vihicles can run fine without certain things hooked up. But I'm not sure! Halp!

·
Administrator
24,582 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

I assume you are referring to the factory plastic vacuum harness.
If so those lines become very brittle and break very easily.
The fix is to eliminate the factory harness and install a vacuum block with new lines.
Attempting to splice the old plastic lines only leads to more breaks and vacuum leaks.
There is a thread on installing vacuum blocks.
From the vacuum block you will run vacuum to the...
1)Baro Solenoid
2)Fuel Pressure Regulator
3)Wastegate Solenoid
4)Purge Solenoid
5)Boost Gauge (If Equipped)
I also assume the engine in this car is a 2.5L Turbo 1 (Non-Intercooled, Engine Code J)
(The engine code is the 8th digit of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
90 Turbo 1 Vacuum.jpg
If you have any questions, concerns or need any more info Please feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
9,030 Posts
^ great advice
unless u are planning to "restore" this car in which case of course you need to source an original replacement for the 1 -> 4 splitter etc ..
but yeah great advice is to replace EVERYTHING in the vacuum line system including connectors (careful some are calibrated orifices - keep those) and elbows & tees ..
the old plastic bits crack, then leak - intermittently - and will cause difficult to diagnose driveability & performance problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome To TD!!!

I assume you are referring to the factory plastic vacuum harness.
If so those lines become very brittle and break very easily.
The fix is to eliminate the factory harness and install a vacuum block with new lines.
Attempting to splice the old plastic lines only leads to more breaks and vacuum leaks.
There is a thread on installing vacuum blocks.
From the vacuum block you will run vacuum to the...
1)Baro Solenoid
2)Fuel Pressure Regulator
3)Wastegate Solenoid
4)Purge Solenoid
5)Boost Gauge (If Equipped)
I also assume the engine in this car is a 2.5L Turbo 1 (Non-Intercooled, Engine Code J)
(The engine code is the 8th digit of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
View attachment 270684
If you have any questions, concerns or need any more info Please feel free to ask.
Thank you so so so much! I believe I will just replace it new! I will definitely be back for any concerns!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts