Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a slow gathering of parts so I am just wanting to compile a list. The last time I did this was a TII/A555 swap from a Daytona to a Lebaron that had a 2.5TBI/Auto.
As the title states I am looking to swap a turbo into the somewhat rare (in being one year only) SBEC L-body. It is a clean car with a dealer added sunroof. I would like to be in the 200HP +/- (at the crank) I would like to run without intercooler preferably even if it costs me HP. I'd like it as close to bolt in as possible. This is my biggest priority. My last swap was 100% bolt in.
I'd like a dependable yet fun daily driver I can beat on occasionally that averages 25-30mpg. Those are my goals anyway. There may be trade offs I understand.
Please correct me if I have made mistakes (or missed better options) in what I "think" I need to keep an eye out for:
  • 2.5 turbo out of early 90's vehicle (common block)
  • Turbo mini van harness (do these need shortened and or/ repinned?) Is there a better option?
  • Stronger transmission (A-555 with linkage adapter?)
  • FWD perf computer (prob stage 1 maybe 2? Will this give me the High torque set up of 180 ft/lb?)
  • 804's or equivalent injectors or do I need larger?
  • Turbo fuel pump
  • lifter upgrade
  • 2.5" exhaust manifold to bumper (or perhaps out the side)

Things I am completely insure of:
  • Cam selection - Do I run the stock roller or put in a performance non roller like I did with my first swap?
  • Is there a better trans option? I am sure the stock trans can't take the torque of the 2.5 turbo.
  • How much work is it to get the mounts to clear the different trans?
  • Is it worth getting the head reworked with slightly bigger valves if they are still available?
  • Which axles do I run for this setup?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or has been asked before - I did my best to poke around for a similar project. I am somewhat a noob when it comes to creating post.

-- Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems the radiator in the 90 L-Body is a one year only part. I was lucky enough to find new ones for each of my Horizons and that was very difficult for me even though I am in the auto parts business. I am not sure what radiator I would have to use if I went to an intercooler. Again, I want the least amount of modifications for the turbo swap.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would use a 1989 Minivan harness as they're what I'm familiar with.

SMEC's are readily available and inexpressive.(2.2 T-I, 2.2 T-II and 2.5 T-I

1989 and newer 2.5 Turbo Engine complete.

Stock cam and injectors to match stock SMEC

Turbo fuel pump.

The 1990 A 525 had 520 gear sets so it will do if you're not too abusive.

Allows more relaxed highway cruising than any stronger transmission.

Your present axles are fine with your present transmission.

1988-90 Omni automatic axles will be needed with any stronger trans.

Manual boost with hi-low is the way to go, more than equals HI TORQUE

Spend you're cash on a Garrett with a free flowing swing valve and exhaust.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Randy!
I am glad to know about the stronger gear sets and that prompted me to read a little on the difference as I didn't consider it an option until now. A slight concern is the side cover and left bearing retainer. Is there a stronger diff cover I can add to my 525? I read: The new A525 did not receive the new differential cover or left-side bearing retainer. Maybe since it is a lighter car, I can at least I can get it running temporarily if not permanently on my A525 and address it later if there is a problem.
Being a 1990 car, should I stay with the SBEC or does it even matter? I like the idea of 2.5 T1 for the torque since I don't plan on an I/C thus far.
I will read up on manual boost. I don't have much knowledge on it as I never considered it. I like the idea of the stage 1 or 2 ecm with the improved cooling strategy as well as the higher boost.
Again, thanks for ideas👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
This will be a slow gathering of parts so I am just wanting to compile a list. The last time I did this was a TII/A555 swap from a Daytona to a Lebaron that had a 2.5TBI/Auto.
As the title states I am looking to swap a turbo into the somewhat rare (in being one year only) SBEC L-body. It is a clean car with a dealer added sunroof. I would like to be in the 200HP +/- (at the crank) I would like to run without intercooler preferably even if it costs me HP. I'd like it as close to bolt in as possible. This is my biggest priority. My last swap was 100% bolt in.
I'd like a dependable yet fun daily driver I can beat on occasionally that averages 25-30mpg. Those are my goals anyway. There may be trade offs I understand.
Please correct me if I have made mistakes (or missed better options) in what I "think" I need to keep an eye out for:
  • 2.5 turbo out of early 90's vehicle (common block)
  • Turbo mini van harness (do these need shortened and or/ repinned?) Is there a better option?
  • Stronger transmission (A-555 with linkage adapter?)
  • FWD perf computer (prob stage 1 maybe 2? Will this give me the High torque set up of 180 ft/lb?)
  • 804's or equivalent injectors or do I need larger?
  • Turbo fuel pump
  • lifter upgrade
  • 2.5" exhaust manifold to bumper (or perhaps out the side)

Things I am completely insure of:
  • Cam selection - Do I run the stock roller or put in a performance non roller like I did with my first swap?
  • Is there a better trans option? I am sure the stock trans can't take the torque of the 2.5 turbo.
  • How much work is it to get the mounts to clear the different trans?
  • Is it worth getting the head reworked with slightly bigger valves if they are still available?
  • Which axles do I run for this setup?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or has been asked before - I did my best to poke around for a similar project. I am somewhat a noob when it comes to creating post.

-- Chris
Chris where do you live?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts