Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into a 1990 Dodge Omni I want to rebuild and am a total Noob to Turbo Dodges. I posted a thread awhile saying how I found it in someones backyard before they gave it to a junkyard and had some awesome help with motor ideas..So here's what I'm working with...

Interior is spotless so no problems there and original engine is strong but will eventually be replaced for a turbo engine and hoping to get about 300hp Also I want to keep it an Automatic just because I get tired of shifting in traffic and for consistent starts. I just got the engine running today after it sat for about 2 years in the guys backyard so I'm finding a lot of things need to be replaced in the front end suspension. I was planning on doing this anyway but now I have to do it before any motor work because I want this to be my daily driver for a bit until this motor gives out.

Is there any recommended kits I can buy that are simple enough to do at home that will replace and tighten everything up in my front end. I would like to build my suspension turbo compatible if that matters...Also I have been reading the threads and I know I have to get coil overs for any real performance so which ones are recommended or have the most bang for my buck?? Also from what I've read rubber bushings are prefered with the coil overs correct?? can somebody point me in the right direction please..a kit for all this would be awesome but not sure where to look.. Thanks also any tranny advice is welcomed...

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,492 Posts
ok i built a omni about 3 years or more back it was a 90 factory 5 speed but ALL STOCK suspension lol even down to the small brakes! but i did lower it pretty far it road like crap haha i used a neon kit i modded to work, but i have a shelby charger now and i am using honda CRX eibachs and cut one coil off, they ride well stiff but smooth,

here is a picture of the omni with the neon springs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats cool looking, I like the rims/height..But if it didnt ride good i'll keep looking thanks for the pic...its close to what I want for color scheme.. I'm gonna go San Jose Shark teal&black

·
Administrator
16,492 Posts
Thats cool looking, I like the rims/height..But if it didnt ride good i'll keep looking thanks for the pic...its close to what I want for color scheme.. I'm gonna go San Jose Shark teal&black
thats why i posted it i learned the hard way lol it was good for handling or at the track but other than that it was not worth it, but the crx springs work great but they are kinda pricey i didnt pay full price as i got them from a parts car, if your looking for soft ride and lower theres a few options you can put glh or shelby charger spring on the car it will lower it about a inch,:thumb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump....Ok so i'm gonna redo the bushings all the way around with sway bars front and rear hopefully that'll tighten everything up..from there Ill look into whats better..has anybody had any problems in going from struts to coil overs?? is it recommended or should I just keep install new struts??:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts