Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please, I have a speedmeter odometer that won't work. Is there part at the bell housing I need to replace before I switch out the instrument cluster or do both? Anyone have a part number? Location/pic of said replacement part please. Willing to buy to fix this thing and I have had the instrument cluster our before. Thanks for any help. Ret. TSgt Jeff Bobela.

·
Administrator
24,582 Posts
I need to know exactly what is not working before I can offer any assistance.
Is it just the Odometer not working or both the Odometer and Speedometer?

Also, if the issue turns out to be with the Speedometer itself you do not have to replace the entire cluster.

·
Administrator
24,582 Posts
The biggest issue with our speedometers is the plastic gears breaking that drive the odometer but that only causes the odometer not to operate so it is not your issue right now.
I have had to replace my speedometer once in 30 years so they do go bad.

Do you have a Code 15 stored in memory?
If Yes, you have lost the signal from the VSS which could be the VSS or the wiring.
If No, the engine controller is still seeing a signal from the VSS, that does not mean the cluster is receiving a signal, you would have to test the circuit from the cluster back to the VSS using an ohmmeter.

Here are the Speedometer Inop diagnostics from Chrysler.
(6)90 Instrument Cluster Gauge Testing 3.jpg (6)90 Instrument Cluster Gauge Testing 4.jpg

The output from the VSS is on the WT/OR wire that runs to the engine controller and to the instrument cluster Black Connector Cavity 5.

Keep in mind that one of the biggest issues with gauges that stop working are cracked solder joints on the Cluster PCB or faulty/loose connections so you can use your Ohmmeter to check the PCB to speedo circuit on the board.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes, where does the speedometer cable meet the transmission/bell housing for signal? Thanks if you have a diagram. Jeff.

·
Administrator
24,582 Posts
There is no cable, all electric.
The wire from the VSS runs to the Bulkhead Connector Cavity #42 and then runs to the cluster.
The VSS is located in the Transaxle Extension Housing (where the driveaxles go into the transaxle).

If your Cruise Control works then you know for sure the engine controller is seeing a VSS signal.
Not sure about your 91 but on my 90 cruise will not engage below 38 MPH.
50 MPH is about 1800 RPM's in 5th gear, 2200 in 4th.

I will send you some wiring through PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts