Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Category: Domestic

I have a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T - VIN #000003 for sale, in USA - Maryland.

Asking price is $$5800

1991 Spirit R/T, 148k miles, stock with the exception of a 2.5” mandrel bent exhaust, nice paint, straight, no rust.

This car is somewhat unique, being VIN #000003. Some of the things I’ve noticed since I bought it that are different:

-clear marker lights instead of amber
-plaque on dash says Chrysler instead of Spirit
-cam gears are slightly different
-tag on trans has red print instead of black
-there are hand written part numbers on masking tape all over the car (see attached pic as an example)
-tach redline at 6000 instead of the usual 6500 - looks to be original cluster since it has a hand written part number on it also

I believe that this was a pre production car or a test car of some sort. I have a print out from Chrysler listing the options on the car, which include “Company Car” and ‘Test Car” on there. I also have a car fax (that I have to find!) that shows that the car was sold at auction and was first registered with 11k miles on it in late 1992. Build date on the car is 6/90. In looking at old magazine tests, the white Spirit R/T tested had clear marker lights. I have wondered if this was the car used for magazine tests back in the day, however, I can not verify that.

I bought the car with a blown turbo and a busted radiator. The previous owner started to disassemble it, but never finished. I had the car shipped to me and found that many of the disassembled pieces were gone. I reassembled the car with good parts (rad/IC, all IC lines, turbo, radiator hoses, SBEC) and got it running/driving. Once verified as a runner, I went about making it road worthy. I’ve replaced with new:

-all rubber fuel lines
-intermediate shaft bearings
-headgasket/bolts
-Braided turbo lines
-Tires
-Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets
-Fresh, uncracked head (valve seals, valve job, titanium raised retainers)’
-Oil pan gasket
-New exhaust, high flow cat and muffler
-Mopar side motor and trans mounts, MP Neon bobble strut, poly front mount

Since assembling, I’ve put about 4k miles on it. It runs, drives and looks good. No smoke, knocks, ticks, etc. Boosts just fine and is nice and quick. A/C works.

It’s a neat car that appears to have some history. I think it would be a great pick up for someone that is an R/T enthusiast. As usual with me, I have a car for a few years, decide to do something different and would like to clear out a bit. The car does not have any rust on it, but has had a piece of the driver’s side floor replaced with metal around the ebrake cable. I haven’t found anything else on it. It’s also been repainted at some point. The only other flaw is that the previous owner cut the rear bumper cover to clear whatever exhaust he had on there, but I have a good white R/T rear bumper cover that goes with the car.

The car is located just northwest of Washington DC in Rockville, MD. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me with any questions. Asking $5800.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

And the last of the pics for now. If anyone wants/needs to see anything else or something more specific, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Man!! That's nice. If that's 146k,my 43k must be 343k LOL.I usually think these cars have a too high asking price ,but that one is worth every penny .Good Luck with the sale. Wish I had it instead of mine!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man!! That's nice. If that's 146k,my 43k must be 343k LOL.I usually think these cars have a too high asking price ,but that one is worth every penny .Good Luck with the sale. Wish I had it instead of mine!
Thanks...it's defintely a nice car and it has a neat history which makes it a bit different.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumpin' it up...

Been working on other things, so selling the car became a very low priority the past few months. She's still for sale, running great (149.5k on it now) and waiting for a new owner to come and take her away. :)

Any questions, let me know.

Pat

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Still haven't sold the car? That amazes me, since they are a rare car. I am finishing paying off my current toy and that is most likely my next toy. My very first new car was a 1990 spirit ES and I thought that car was fast. Then when these R/Ts came out they were out of my price range. WOW I wish your car was still around when I finished paying off my current toy. You wouldn't want to hold onto it for a year would you LOL. It is on the High side for these cars but like someone else said it is more unusual then most. Just not sure if it's twice as good as most others. If the price wasn't up there it would sell in a heartbeat. Well I can't wait until I can save up more money to buy more toys.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still haven't sold the car? That amazes me, since they are a rare car. I am finishing paying off my current toy and that is most likely my next toy. My very first new car was a 1990 spirit ES and I thought that car was fast. Then when these R/Ts came out they were out of my price range. WOW I wish your car was still around when I finished paying off my current toy. You wouldn't want to hold onto it for a year would you LOL. It is on the High side for these cars but like someone else said it is more unusual then most. Just not sure if it's twice as good as most others. If the price wasn't up there it would sell in a heartbeat. Well I can't wait until I can save up more money to buy more toys.

I'm somewhat of the mindset that if it sells, it sells. It's a really nice car that runs and drives great. Yes, it is on the high end price wise for a Spirit R/T, but considering it's uniqueness (being a pre prod car), it's condition both mechanically and cosmetically and it's rarity, I think it's a fair price. I'd consider offers if they were reasonable, but I'm not looking to give it away. I'd rather just keep driving it.

Yes, there are plenty of others out there in the 3k range, however, most of them issues of one flavor or another. I've learned over the years that by the time I put a mediocre car into the mechanical condition I want it to be in, I could have bought one for the same investment in better shape, that looked better and I wouldn't have had to do all the work. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
^^^^^^

Very true Pat. It's better to spend a little more cheese for a car that's all done. You sig says you are from Rockville Md. I attended my first ShelbyDodge meeting at the McD's on 355 which was next to a BMW dealer back then. (1987) Great memories..sorry for the off topic..Nice car GLWS!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
You want to hold this baby for me?

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the car is a good deal, and if it's still available in 6-8 months it's mine. :fingersx:

I bought a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder for my first toy because I wanted something with AWD. I am using it as my main vehicle since my jeep was finally costing more then it was worth to maintain. It was either dump more money on it or get a toy. Guess which I went with. :TD2: Anyway since I had a Dodge Spirit before, as I mentioned I think, I knew it wasn't the best in the snow. The Mitsu had the AWD and then as a plus it has AWS, Adjustable Suspension, Twin intercooled turbos, and a Hardtop convertible. I just couldn't resist. Funny thing was I found it by looking at the Dodge Stealth R/T. Can you tell I have a soft spot for Dodge? Anyway I had to pay for some of it on my credit card and it will take me about another 4 months or so to finish paying it off. Then another 4 months or so to save up enough money for my next toy. That is why I was saying if it's around in that amount of time.

Of course no one on this site really cares about my toys or my finances but I just wanted to throw in a comment about my current toy. :monkey4:LOL BUT if you want to set that baby of yours aside and keep it for me I can tell you that I would buy it. Sound like a deal??? Heck if I could get a loan for it I would buy it now and just pay off the loan while paying off the credit card too. It would be stretching things but to me it would be worth it. I guess Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep is just my company. Funny how you always have a soft spot for your first car company. Of course it doesn't hurt that this car company consistently comes up with good looking cars, year after year. Well anyway, I have to stop I love to gab and when it comes to cars I babble even more. :rolleyes:

Let me just tell you that I think your car is really a nice car, and I wish I had the money right now. If it's available when I can save up the money I will be looking hard at your baby, but I highly doubt it will be available by then. Heck since I keep bumping this post it will probably get sold sometime soon. These cars just don't last long on the market.

Well I think I will go look at the pictures again. It is even in the white color, which is so cool. I had a red spirit. Man the more I babble the more I wish I could just hide it away until I had the money.

Oh by the way I work nights and this spiel of madness is fueled by caffeine tablets and over 24 hours of no sleep so please forgive me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, after waking the car up from it's winter hibernation, I found that the paint began to fail on a few spots on the roof. Very, very disappointing to say the least. I sanded the spots and quickly covered with some paint, but it was a quick job just to protect it. Considering how nice the paint on the car was, I was pretty upset when I found this.

To me this very much devalues the car as it really would need to be painted. The only other issues that have surfaced recently is that the head liner is starting to sag a bit in the driver's side rear and I think the oil return line is leaking a bit. It's not signficant, but there is a spot underneath where I park it after driving it to/from work. Everything else from my original description still remains the same.

If anyone is still interested, I'd take $3500 for the car. Less than that, it starts to become worth it to me to use the body of the car, swap the drivetrain with the fresh rebuilt 8v motor and tranny that I have ready to go (so I don't have to worry about it) and use it as a year round driver. It's a nice car with a very interesting history. I'd rather see the car get restored considering it's history, but those of you who know me personally know that I'm not that guy and even if I was, I need a driver.

Lastly, please do not litter the thread or start PM'ing me on why I should or shouldn't make this car a driver. If it's worth restoring, someone should buy it at this price.

Thanks,
Pat

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Yeah figured the car would go quickly at the new price. Even tried contacting him to see if he would take payments to hold it for me until I could collect all the cash. The car is so very interesting. Surprised it didn't go for the original price. I mean if I had had the money then I would have bought it at that price. Well hopefully in a few months when I have the money saved up there will be another one as nice. Hey maybe I will get lucky and there will be a 1992 available by then. Wonder who the lucky person is that got this baby.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.