Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I found the correct information, the 3 speed auto that came in the 1991 Shebly and irocs is the A-413?

3 questions...

1. It looks like I have a bad one, I just bought a 91 shelby/iroc and I think it starts out in 2nd gear and totally ignores 1st... could this be a filter or fluid problem? Or is it probably more serious that that?

2. What other years/cars came with this tranny? I may try to find one in a boneyard locally for now.

3. What can be done to strengthen them for more power? I want to have more power eventually than the stock t1 puts out now. Or is there another transmission that would drop right in without other mods?

Thanks alot for any help, this is my first "auto" dodge.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
There's a chance your kickdown lever is stuck in the kick down position. But then since the car starts in second, this may not be the case. Look at the cable going from the TB to the tranny. If you hit the gas and don't see the cable return on it's own at the tranny, you have a froze up lever. There's two levers at the tranny. They appear to be on the same shaft, but one shaft is inside the other. They get frozen (corroded) together. Probably from washing the engine/tranny. What happens when they stick is the car will stay extra long in a lower gear. It may not hit 3rd til about 50 mph. When you drop below 50, it wants to drop back to 2nd. This may not be what yours is doing, but is very common and could mess up the tranny after a while. My old turbo automatics usually acted this way at first them stopped dropping in to first at stops. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.
This may sound weird, but a very well respected TD guy once told me the gov may be clogged up and to free this, you can drive 30 MPH and try to shove the car in to park. This rattlles the gov and can break stuff loose. I know this sounds scary, but the guy (the late Dave Grove) told me that the car can't go in to park at all and I don't have anything to worry about. I wouldn't have tryed this if anyone else ever told me to do it, but this guy knew his stuff. I did tell a local guy here about this and he's been doing it everytime his car won't shift right. He has a bad tranny, but has driven it all winter and the car still moves.
If you're looking to get a tranny, make sure it's a turbo tranny. That pretty much would be something from 87 to the early 90's. If it's a turbo car with an auto (stock) it will work. The 413 turbo tranny also has a sticker on it saying "Turbo" Be carefull if you don't see the sticker.
If you're interested, I have a turbo 413 that I just recently pulled from an 82,000 mile car at a salvage yard. "Unknown condition" The fluid was red and it doesn't look like it was ever pulled apart. That told me the car was junked for some other reason. I'd take $100 for it but no guarantee or shipping. I bought it because of the low mileage car it came from. I don't have a turbo auto car at this time and may not get one anytime soon.
The tranny came from an 89 Turbo Spirit about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BobD,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try messing with it tomorrow and see what happens. The throw it in park thing makes me a little nervous, but I may give that a try too... if I can work up the nerves.

I'm thinking that I may have bigger problems now than the gov or kickdown lever because I went to drain the fluid today and it's freaking black. Almost the same color as really old engine oil... and I take it it's not supposed to look like that.

Well, it's a project car and it's actually second in line for me right now so that's the good news. I don't need to get it on the road anytime soon.

That'll give me time to read up!

Oh, and I'll pm you about yours in a minute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts