Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1993 Town and Country AWD for $600. It feels like its lacking power compared to my 1994 Voyager LE SWB 3.3. I noticed that the 1993 versions are only rated at 150 HP where as the 1994 is 162HP.Is this due to the difference in air intake plenums as ive heard (although they look exactly the same) and if so is it possible to put a 1994 intake on a 1993? I saw a few minor differences in vacuum lines etc. I just put my Spectre cone filter on the T&C and it really brought it to life, but not as powerful as my Voyager. Plus i love the roar the cone gives the van, :p

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
a swb voyager weights a bit less then a lwb tc. i have a lwb 92 voyager and a lwb 94 tc and florida charges your registration by vehicle weight and they say my 94 lwb tc weighs a bit more then mt 92 lwb voyager. So I would guess your swb is even less.

Also check to see what gear set is in the trans. my 92 was sluggish when i got it and could never get it to have the pep my old 91 or my 94 had. Finally the trans failed and I replaced it. The trans i took out had a 3.8 set of gears in it. now my pep is back but it dropped 2 mpg on the highway.
Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not able to verify the plenum changing, although as you say Chrysler claims it is different. The cam and cylinder heads changed sometime in this era and are likely responsible for the difference between the years.

3.3L and 3.8L: Both engines have used two different heads from 1990 through '97. The original head was a 4448015 casting with a heart-shaped chamber that was shrouded around the backside of the intake valve (opposite the spark plug). It was replaced in mid-to-late '93 by the 4621510 casting that had less shrouding around the intake valve.

The cam was changed once more in '94 (p/n 4621685) and used with the "unshrouded" head to add more low end torque and improve acceleration by 2% to 3% "aids intake air flow for smoother high speed operation" and "reduces noise by 5 DBA at 5000 rpm."
This would seem to be what you are feeling. The AWD also sucks some power so it would make it feel worse yet. If it is a 3.8 (should be with AWD) it has lower numeric final drive ratio which hurts acceleration even more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish it were a 3.8. Its a 1993 Town and Country AWD but has the 3.3. On parts websites it shows they only came with a 3.3. But in 1994-1995 they were 3.8 on all Town and Country's.

That cone filter really made a night and day difference. It seems to be about as good as my 94 now. Im still looking into an intake swap.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Its been 10 years now but i do remember a cone filter making a big difference on my 93 3.3 when it was stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts