Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: carform_post -->
Category: Domestic

I have a 1993 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T for sale, in USA - OH.
Mileage: 131500 miles
Engine Size: 2.2L Turbo

Asking price is $3900 OBO

TL;DR:
1993 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T. Clean Title, ~131K miles and have owned for approximately 10 years. Overall good condition, with its share of quirks for a 24 year old car. Has had low mileage since significant engine head work, and low mileage on tires, brake pads and rotors. Runs and drives well, if still interested and want to know more keep reading. $3900 obo. Located in Southwest Ohio. All deals in person, sold AS IS.

The good:
Car had significant engine work done around ~110-115K, can find paperwork if you’d like to see it. Engine head was pulled and resurfaced at a machine shop, new valve guides and seals. New timing belt. New engine head bolts. New crankshaft position sensor. Turbocharger rebuilt at a specialty shop.
Newer motor mounts.
Newer brakes pads, tires a few years old but near new tread. Low mileage on spark plugs/wires as well.
Various replacements parts over the years: window regulators, wheel bearings replaced/repackaged.
Aftermarket CD player and speakers. Have the original around somewhere if desired I can find it, it is not currently functional.
Clutch doesn’t slip, but has not been replaced in the ~25K mileage that I have owned it. Unsure if replaced by any of previous owners.
Car repainted a few years back (stock color). Had a lot of sun damage as previously owned in Florida. Not a $3k high-end paint job but looks good from 5-10 feet. Hood and roof could already use another repaint from pitting and general paint damage.
Very little rust as it was a Florida car, was only driven a couple winters up here before it became a project car.
Just had it cleaned up, interior in decent shape other than some of the mats. Still with car but in bad shape.
Brand new shifter bushings under shifter, newer bushings on transmission side as well.

Mods:
3” Turbo back exhaust w/test pipe. HKS BOV. K/N filter. Otherwise mostly stock.

The bad:
Oil leak on a oil galley plug on the engine head. Kind of a pain to get to and was unsuccessful on permanent sealing solutions that I tried, preferred just to add oil every 400-500 miles to make sure it was never more than a half quart below full.
Finicky dash, with speedometer that always reads low (way off.) Tachometer works sometimes, worked consistently when I took dash apart and cleaned up terminals but it is due again. Similarly some of the small battery/temp gauges will behave strangely at times.
Compass display doesn’t work. Have looked at the circuit board and appeared to have a blown capacitor, was unable to fix.
Possibly other minor things I can’t remember as it is a 24 year old car. If you’re coming from a long way out I certainly don’t want to waste anyone’s time so I’ll try to answer any questions/concerns.
EDIT: Sorry forgot, AC does not work. Compressor had leak a number of years ago, with the ability to refill but would leak out all again. Have not used AC since. Heat works fine.

Why it’s time:
As the car that really got me into mechanical engineering, I’ve enjoyed tinkering with it and driving it as a weekend car for a number of years. I have no need to get rid of it, but at the same time am kept pretty busy at my current job, family life, etc. I would prefer it to go to one of the enthusiasts who would enjoy it and so am posting it here before I do locally. Has air pressure in tires topped off, fresh oil change, and is as ready as it will ever be. I may have some flexibility in price if not selling but I believe it’s the lowest IROC R/T I’ve seen listed in recent times so am trying to be as fair about the price and as honest about the car as possible.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: carform_post -->

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added some interior/engine bay pictures, I know this likely won't see a whole lot of traffic before the weekend but let me know if you'd like to see anything else and I'll get pictures added!

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
Crap. I was just looking for one last weekend.(yes, specifically an Emerald R/T) Now I spent some of my savings, and I'm going on a parts trip Friday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crap. I was just looking for one last weekend.(yes, specifically an Emerald R/T) Now I spent some of my savings, and I'm going on a parts trip Friday.
So did you end up buying something else or you're coming to pick it up next week instead? :grin2:

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
Man, I wish! I have to finish up a big parts deal with Kcar Karl. Im clearing out his garage so he can fit more Toyotas in there.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
I had just saved an '89 Lebaron TURBO GT vert from the scrap Saturday. Cost me $600 all in to get it to my house and it needs a head gasket, but at least it's safe.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
Do people just not like green cars?? I would figure someone would have jumped on a 1 of 90. 1 of 48 if you consider sunroof/ no sunroof. That's the numbers I had seen on TM after I saw the other emerald car I've found for sale. It was in Michigan I think. Low mileage, bone stock. $9500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do people just not like green cars?? I would figure someone would have jumped on a 1 of 90. 1 of 48 if you consider sunroof/ no sunroof. That's the numbers I had seen on TM after I saw the other emerald car I've found for sale. It was in Michigan I think. Low mileage, bone stock. $9500.
Not sure! I've always liked the green but my daily driver is blue now for what it's worth lol. I've had you and one other person show interest that I have to follow up with, hope someone picks it up soon!

I've seen the much higher priced cars and yeah, I'm looking to sell it to a good home! Personally I don't think anyone would buy mine at $9500, it's not a perfect car. Rather a reasonable price that people can spend the extra money tinkering/enjoying it.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
Did my old lady really try to get you to drive this car out to Illinois? I don't know if I would trust a vehicle unproven to me for a drive that long. Sucks how much affect location can have on making a sale.

I just hate the flipping that goes on. I see turbo cars get sold for $2500 and pop back up within a week for $3500. This happens constantly until they quit running. So they never get loved. I wish folks would quit using regular gas in them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did my old lady really try to get you to drive this car out to Illinois? I don't know if I would trust a vehicle unproven to me for a drive that long. Sucks how much affect location can have on making a sale.

I just hate the flipping that goes on. I see turbo cars get sold for $2500 and pop back up within a week for $3500. This happens constantly until they quit running. So they never get loved. I wish folks would quit using regular gas in them.
She did :grin2::grin2: ..but alas it is a long drive, liability if something happens to the car along the way, etc.

That being said.. I'd probably swing a trip to Indianapolis to meet you with it if that sounded better! It seems I will have to be prepared to offer shipping to whoever wants to get it, which is fine I guess just have to review best practices for that.

An interesting story you reminded me about, I distinctly remember being in high school and the guy telling me, "It used to run a little rough with 87 gas so I always put in 89 (!!!) .. Rest assured for the last 10 years before and after engine work car has always run with 93. If I recall it has the knock sensor or whatever to properly adjust for lower octane but that just seems ridiculous, premium gas for cars that are made for premium gas!!

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,419 Posts
I swear, it's a matter of Chrysler not wanting to specifically say "PREMIUM ONLY" because it would hamper sales. We pulled a head gasket out of my friends '85 S/C. He and the previous owner didn't know about detonation under boost yet. The gasket was torched away 1" wide between the #2 and #3 cylinders. I have no idea how it was running as good as it was still.

So I'm back from my trip. Brought back a van full of pre-'90 stuff. A lot of random bits and pieces. But the cool thing was a 16MM film about 1986 computerization advancements they were going to implement in the assembly plants. I did get a 1990 turbo A-413. Man is it wet up there near Chicago! A few years ruins parts inside a garage without climate control.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
every single turbo car mopar built had a sticker beside the gas cap or inside the gas door that read premium fuel only

I had a gasket burn between the cylinders , a mccord piece of junk

the fire rings were not conjoined between the chambers like most

it burned the wall between the chambers about 3/8 inch into the head , about an inch long

fyi that's repairable at the machine shop
they drill a hole in the burned area and pound a piece of aluminum bar stock in , then drill off center of that and pound in another piece of rod
this is repeated until all the burned area if filled in

every piece of rod is notched by the next hole for the next piece thus locking everything into place when done
the faint outline of the bar stock sections looked a little like a cloverleaf

then a quick grinding to restore the chamber's shape and a hit on the surfacing table
fixed for about a 100 bucks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Six of our turbo cars say "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY PREMIUM RECOMMENDED". One of them has been repainted, or else it would as well.
I want to say this is what my R/T says as well, but now I'm curious and will check tonight!

..unrelated update..

Had first visit to come check out the car! In typical Murphy's law it blew up a shifter bushing as I pulled out of my street, and subsequently was stuck at an intersection during scheduled meetup time. He was nice enough to come help me push the car back down the street (quite an adventure to push a tank backwards down the street, thankfully a downward hill after the first 50-100 feet of pain), and I've got a new set of shifter bushings ordered from FWD that I should get in this week.

He was still very interested and car should be running by next weekend, he hasn't made an offer yet but if anyone else is interested last chance could be coming soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did your guy come back and sweep the R/T up and head down the road?
He has not, car is still here! I did just get it finished up this Sunday so haven't found a meetup time yet, but no offers and not holding so welcoming anyone else that wants to come get it! New shifter bushings installed that I frankly should have installed a long time ago, lot crisper shifting now lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts