Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CoupleOvans
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting more power out of my 94 Voyager lately. I have already done a few engine mods but don't want to push it real far from my experiences with the A670 trans. Unfortunately even modded the 3.0 is not enough. I have thought about boosting it Shred style, but I fear the trans won't be up to it for a reliable daily.

I have a neighbor with a running/driving (well working driveline) 2001 Caravan that he said I could have if I get it out of his yard, so this got me thinking. The 2001 3.3 is rated @ 180hp/210ft-lbs, which is a significant amount more than the 3.0 (and more than our 95 3.3, which is acceptable for performance).

So my thought is pull the 01 driveline, dump it in my 94. I will have the whole van so I will have the motor/trans/wiring/ecu/etc. I figure it will make it significantly quicker, while keeping it reliable as it would be an almost stock driveline in a much lighter chassis.

Question is, how much work is this going to be?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
The electronics could be a sticking point I think. The ECM, TCM, and BCM all have to be matched together. The BCM controls the gauges on the '96 and up clusters (upgraded bus system?), so your '92 may not work with the signals coming in. Did '01 have transponder keys? I know they started doing that with some vehicles around then.

No reason I know of why you couldn't put the drivetrain in your chassis though, using mounts from a 3.3 of your body style. That'll probably be the easier part.

·
CoupleOvans
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The electronics could be a sticking point I think. The ECM, TCM, and BCM all have to be matched together. The BCM controls the gauges on the '96 and up clusters (upgraded bus system?), so your '92 may not work with the signals coming in. Did '01 have transponder keys? I know they started doing that with some vehicles around then.

No reason I know of why you couldn't put the drivetrain in your chassis though, using mounts from a 3.3 of your body style. That'll probably be the easier part.
It does not have transponder key IIRC. We have grafted harnesses together before, so I was hoping to be able to graft the ECM and TCM into my wiring harness. That would make it look factory and hopefully work that way. I figured mounting would be easy as they ran that combo in my body style, this is just a newer version.
I suppose another option would be to run MS on it?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
MS is certainly an option. You might be able to just use a 3.3/604 harness from a '92 van. I see those in the junkyard often enough. I know there were some changes to the engines in the 96-98 generation and again in the aughts. Not really sure what all changed since I don't typically play with the 3.3/3.8 stuff. It may be as simple as swapping all the '92 generation sensors and wiring in. Definitely use the 2000's solenoid pack in the trans and get a reflash if you use an older TCM though. They made improvements to the shift code over the years and the newer solenoids are faster and quieter than the older ones.

·
CoupleOvans
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MS is certainly an option. You might be able to just use a 3.3/604 harness from a '92 van. I see those in the junkyard often enough. I know there were some changes to the engines in the 96-98 generation and again in the aughts. Not really sure what all changed since I don't typically play with the 3.3/3.8 stuff. It may be as simple as swapping all the '92 generation sensors and wiring in. Definitely use the 2000's solenoid pack in the trans and get a reflash if you use an older TCM though. They made improvements to the shift code over the years and the newer solenoids are faster and quieter than the older ones.
It wouldn't be a real big deal to just run MS if needed, it would likely be a more reliable option than mixing and matching generation's wiring/sensors. Time is going to be the biggest issue as I can't afford to have it down for real long.

Really looking for the most reliable way to up the performance. After driving around the hills by Devil's Lake this weekend, I for sure need more power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.