Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive noticed now that i have my car back on the road that 1st gear is a bit peculiar to get into gear. when shifting 2-5 are fine, easy in shifts. reverse isnt bad, just hit 2nd and it goes in with ease. with 1st, hitting 2nd helps a little but you still gotta force it a bit or pop the clutch in neutral for a second. it also wines a bit when trying to shift into 1st, but none of the other gears. probable that the synchro is going?

btw, its an a543 with 229K miles.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? is it usual for the 1-2 synchro to die first?

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's not normal for the 1st gear syncro to cause problems. Have you checked shifter adjustment? Incorrect adjustment is the number 1 cause of shifting issues.

Have you checked fluid level in the transmission?

How about this, try shifting into reverse from neutral, do you get a grinding noise from the transmission and how long dose it last without fourcing the car into gear?

Cliff Ramsdell
The Transmission Authority
For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
[email protected].com
Cliff's, Home of the TIII Wagon
Mopartek

ive noticed now that i have my car back on the road that 1st gear is a bit peculiar to get into gear. when shifting 2-5 are fine, easy in shifts. reverse isnt bad, just hit 2nd and it goes in with ease. with 1st, hitting 2nd helps a little but you still gotta force it a bit or pop the clutch in neutral for a second. it also wines a bit when trying to shift into 1st, but none of the other gears. probable that the synchro is going?

btw, its an a543 with 229K miles.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will doublecheck the fluid level, but i havent seen signs of fluid leakage since i filled it. ill go for a drive today and try the neutral-reverse thing. usually i hit 2nd before going to reverse and it goes easy. and with first, i tried popping the clutch in neutral and it seems to go in easier afterwards...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have you owned or driven other manual cars. First Gear is aways harder to get into.

Is it any worse than other cars.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i have driven other manuals and they usually arnt THIS hard to get into first.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, was out driving today and played around with how its shifting. at a stop, and clutch out in neutral, going into reverse is fairly easy. if its obstinate, hitting second makes it 100 times easier.

i found that if first doesnt wantto go it, a neutral clutch out for a second and it usually goes in fine. its REALLY obstinate if im rolling or at speed usually

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't mean to thread jack, but I have a similar problem with the A543...

I have had to put the car into 2nd before I can get it into first since I've had it and even then it seems like I have to really PUSH it to get it to go into gear, and it seems like it pops INTO first. Also on occasion when I push in the clutch to go from 2-3 it seems to POP OUT of second. Lately I have had the clutch in and gone to put it into first/second gear and the gear grinds like the clutch not pressed down.

Also as Cliff brought up... I noticed the other day that if I go to put it in reverse with the clutch out is simply grinds.

What does this mean? We were thinking slipping clutch, and it still may be slipping clutch. But is it possible the transmission needs rebuilt? Only around 110,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive lived with mine by figuring it out. basically when its cold, it doesn't shift that great (that reminds me, i should check the fluid level...) the easiest way for me to get into 1st is to slow down to about 15 or so and hit second. then as im nearly stopped or barely rolling, to go into 1st. Unless im going REALLY SLOW or stopped, first is a bitch to get into. As for reverse, if it doesn't go in for me i pop the clutch in and go to 2nd then reverse and that synch's it up well. (Reverse is un-synchronized but is off of the 1-2 set, so hitting 2 gets it in the ball park) also, if you had the trans spinning in neutral, let it slow down or stop spinning before trying to go into reverse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts