Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if there really is a huge difference between the two heads. Such as chamber cc's, valve sizes, lift an duration of cams, or any other differences. I do think in 2000 they went to a square intake an exhaust ports but don't know much more. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Only difference from what I remember (and this is for the head and valves, not the cams) the 2.4l and 2.0l DOHC heads were the same for the years. Only difference is the early head vs. the later head. The older head has larger valves if I remember correctly and can flow more air right off the bat, but both have great porting options. The later head does have more after market ability since it is the same head as the SRT head.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The 2.0's have slightly better camshafts although they are all pretty lame, the exhaust valves and ports were made smaller on the later 2.4's for emissions, also the crankcase vent on the intake side was changed witch requires a different head gasket, it also appears that the head gasket cooling strategy was changed possibly to even out the water flow, the holes for cylinder 1 are smaller while they get progressively larger towards cylinder 4

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Something in addition to the responses above, the only real major change was the intake and exhaust manifold bolt patterns. Earlier heads and later heads have a different configuration. This means that an SRT4 intake manifold is not a direct swap for an earlier head, some machining is required for it to work, and that is if it will work which I do not know.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
actually the cam size, in 16v terms is pretty big between the 2.0 and the 2.4. The 2.0 cams are over a 1,000 RPM higher in power range. Hugely helps the 2.4 to use the 2.0 cams, hugely helps an auto trans 2.0 to have 2.4 cams.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was curious, has anybody swapped a neon SOHC to a 2.2/2.5? I'm sure I'd give up a little power to the DOHC but factory difference was only 10hp, if I remember correctly. Swap might be slightly more simple and head easier to come by. I would think even the SOHC (16V neon) would still be way better than the 8V.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was curious, has anybody swapped a neon SOHC to a 2.2/2.5? I'm sure I'd give up a little power to the DOHC but factory difference was only 10hp, if I remember correctly. Swap might be slightly more simple and head easier to come by. I would think even the SOHC (16V neon) would still be way better than the 8V.
I am currently working on a SOHC 16V to a 2.2L only problem I have run in to is the Cam sprocket I don't know the Formula to get the right size and # of teeth, test fitting is good(no interference while valves are closed), the other thing was the Oil feed, as the DOHC already has a oil feed on the back of the head, I had to drill and tap on the back of the SOHC head, but all I lack right now is the Cam Sprocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup, I also noticed that 2.0's has better camshafts when I was building with my buddy from DSRLeasing last week

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
Something in addition to the responses above, the only real major change was the intake and exhaust manifold bolt patterns. Earlier heads and later heads have a different configuration. This means that an SRT4 intake manifold is not a direct swap for an earlier head, some machining is required for it to work, and that is if it will work which I do not know.
I know this was 2 years ago, but can anyone elaborate on the difference in bolt patterns? I have what was sold to me as an SRT 4 head, exhaust manifold with turbo and a Stratus intake manifold. The Exhaust definitely looks correct for either an SRT 4 or PT Cruiser turbo 2.4L, it has the right end upper bolt hole ground off and the left hand upper bolt hole has no mating hole in the head, as a result I have 8 usable manifold bolts on a manifold originally set up for 10. Sounds like I may have a 2.0L head. Is there a way to tell from the cast in cam numbers which cams I have?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts