Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been looking through here for ideas for exhaust. I am interested in the sound qualtity of a good after market exhaust. I am not talkin about a rice burner. GOD NO! I just want a little growl when I start up and go through the gears. Sounds like their is come clearence issues. Also if someone could educate me on some exhaust performance modification minus anything crazy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The race bullet is the best flowing one, but is off road use only. I have 3" turbo back with a race bullet, then out the side. Sounds just like an SRT4 with an open DP.

Edit: and no clearance issues as long as you get the FWD performance exhaust

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Honestly, the best is strait 3" pipe. No muffler. If you have to have a cat, and cant get away with it. Do that. I have magnaflow on my RT however and I absolutely love it.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
i was thinking of replacing my rusted out muffler with one of those race bulets- you have a vid of what it sounds like?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The race bullet is the best flowing one, but is off road use only. I have 3" turbo back with a race bullet, then out the side. Sounds just like an SRT4 with an open DP.

Edit: and no clearance issues as long as you get the FWD performance exhaust
I have the Race Bullet and have yet to have a problem with inspections.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Honestly, the best is strait 3" pipe. No muffler. If you have to have a cat, and cant get away with it. Do that. I have magnaflow on my RT however and I absolutely love it.
YES! I had a 3" Front to Back (Turbosunleashed) with just a 3" Catalytic Converter (No Muffler) and it sounded amazing on my R/T. The performance improvement was the best part.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I personally like the sound that a 3" exhaust with a Borla XR-1 muffler gives. It doesn't get raspy up top, the packing is stainless steel as is the body, so they last a long time! The ONLY issue I've had is hanging the thing! I've had a heck of a time getting regular exhaust hangers to stay welded to the thing because they are regular steel and the body of it is stainless. The ONLY reason I have a catalytic converter(Magnaflo 3" in/out) is to quiet it down more as I don't like a really loud exhaust on the street(and some of the places I race the car have sound regulations as well). Catalytic converters can make around a 3db difference in the sound level. With that set-up there is little to no drone in the car and it has a very deep and mellow tone to it. It's also pretty quiet...my car was dubbed "silent but deadly" at one of the dyno days I participated in! LOL :thumb:

I've also have experience with Magnaflo(and Dynomax) and Race Magnum mufflers. The Magnaflo has a nice sound to it, but I think they get a little raspy up top. the dynomax has a similar sound, but not as raspy up top. The Race Magnum...that is just a pipe inside another pipe with a thin layer of sound absorbing material between them. Honestly you might as well have a straight pipe!

Oh, and tips CAN make a difference in the sound level of the exhaust. When I had my van it was pretty darn loud when it just came directly out of the muffler(pretty much in the center of the van). When I put a turn down on it pointed toward the ground it made a HUGE difference! It was still loud, but not nearly as bad!

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I have a full 3in with dynomax round on my iroc r/t and it sounds mean. I have a 2.5 with magnaflow round and cat on my ES 16V and its quiet, but then again I dont have a cat on my R/T, i did at one time and it was a little quieter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm running stock exhaust w/o a cat and a magnaflow, and it sounds fantastic. I actually get compliments on it often enough. I'm actually going the opposite way though, I'm going to try and go for quieter.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
3" with a magnaflow

G

·
3" FWD kit FTW! I have this on a few R/Ts and sounds awesome. My green R/T has a DynoMax Ultraflow and its pretty quite for a straight thru muffler. Even at 30PSI with a Holset its pretty quit and NO loss of power from straight that I noticed.

G

·
my r/t is 3" from the down pipe back to the bumper,no muffler/cat and a glass pack in the middle.i was told it sounds mean but it currently doesnt run yet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts