Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this forum almost universally supports the 90&up common block as the strongest available production block. I was wondering if anyone has info. on race blocks: factory DC/Mopar or "aftermarket" blocks that are/were available. I sought of remember looking at a DC catalog of the era and recall seeing 2.2/2.5 race blocks. Can any one clear this up?

Does anyone have a list or link to a list of block casting numbers with corresponding description?

Also does anyone have info. on the purposively superior Mexican production blocks?

·
Registered
669 Posts
'89 and up actually, not just '90 and up common blocks.

I'm no expert on the offerings by Mopar, but I had heard of a Mopar Performance racing block too. It was my impression that these are very rare and they were stronger then a common block on the bottom end. I want to say they used stronger main caps, possibly chrom-moly caps?? but I cannot remember all the facts.

I think I remember Chris Falk mentioning he had had gotten one of the last 'new' racing blocks. If he sees this thread, maybe he'll chime in.

I didn't believe there was any difference in the Mexican blocks vs. USA castings when comparing common block to common block. Mexican turbo Dodges did get some interesting combinations, mostly the neat Phantom R/T which was a LeBarron with a Lotus headed Turbo III engine.

I'd have to say race block or not, it's really easy (if you have the cash) to build a block that will take anything you throw at it. For a while TAFT had some chrom-moly main caps which you could purchase, but I'm not so sure these are available anymore either.

Nab yourself a common block, stuff a 2.2 forged crank inside, with some JE pistons, and go with a custom connecting rod. Chrom-moly, or even titanium. It will cost you though. My choice of rods added about $1800 to the build cost of my block and it's over kill, but there are some good advantages. When go that custom, you can pick the length of the connecting rod, use lighter materials, and you'll have a stronger, but lighter rotating assembly. Keep in mind lots of guys use cast cranks too and it's very rare to see those break either. I wouldn't even be concerned about pushing well built common block past the limits if using an 8 valve head. 16V might be different.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the very first race blocks were for a n.a application the turbo world converted those blocks for turbo use i read about it on allpar

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
852jamaica said:
As this forum almost universally supports the 90&up common block as the strongest available production block. I was wondering if anyone has info. on race blocks: factory DC/Mopar or "aftermarket" blocks that are/were available. I sought of remember looking at a DC catalog of the era and recall seeing 2.2/2.5 race blocks. Can any one clear this up?

Does anyone have a list or link to a list of block casting numbers with corresponding description?
If you haven't seen this before, check this link out. Complete with casting #'s. I am assembling this block as we speak. This motor was a circle track racers spare block from the late 1980's. If you knew people, you could get parts from Mopar not available to the general public. I'm sure that still is true today. Very strange block. Early style block yet requires common block crank and pan. Very thick castings on walls. Far thicker than normal production blocks. Crossdrilled, o-ringed, 4 bolt billet mains, etc. This block has been bored .060 over and it still has more meat left in cylinders than a std. bore production block. Seriously cool piece. Overkill? yeah, but I bet most wished they owned it. The owner bought this complete never used block cheap from the late Dave Grove, who picked it up from the circle track racer.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75175&highlight=check

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this thread, but been traveling for work. Thanks for the response, which of course only leads to more questions.

Shelby VNT said:
'89 and up actually, not just '90 and up common blocks.
I remember reading on a thread here that the CB 90's+ castings where "beefier" but don't know how true it is. See http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72723&highlight=common+block

As for Chris's race block hopefully he or someone else can provide some info. like specs., id. and casting info.

I did check out Allpar and all I found was "The early 1981-83 blocks weigh about 87 lb; the turbo block weighs about 90 lb. A special racing block (96 lb) was designed for IMSA racing, before the turbo block was available and before a Champion RS series rule change made the 2.2 noncompetitive."

This IMSA block might be what I remember in the old DC catalogs (which after three hours of looking through boxes have determined that it is somewhere in a land-fill).

And finally Mark's block. Yep, a prior search led me to that thread and started me thinking about the old DC race block. From Mark's thread the casting # indicated a N/A tall block, but Mark says it has the 2.2/CB deck height and doesn't think it is milled down. Could this be a race or "IMSA" block?

So the question is still out there if race blocks did exist what info. does someone have on them. And if anyone else can add to this thread with info or links please do.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
852jamaica said:
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this thread, but been traveling for work. Thanks for the response, which of course only leads to more questions.

And finally Mark's block. Yep, a prior search led me to that thread and started me thinking about the old DC race block. From Mark's thread the casting # indicated a N/A tall block, but Mark says it has the 2.2/CB deck height and doesn't think it is milled down. Could this be a race or "IMSA" block?

So the question is still out there if race blocks did exist what info. does someone have on them. And if anyone else can add to this thread with info or links please do.
This is not Mark's block. He merely had his camera at my house and took some photos of the motor I am building up for a friend's car. The block was from a circle track racer from the Louisville, KY area who had connections with Chrysler. Is is certainly an odd block, that is for sure.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
4 L-bodies said:
The owner bought this complete never used block cheap from the late Dave Grove, who picked it up from the circle track racer.
I bought an '88 TII longblock from Dave Grove. Seriously nice guy. I was looking at the E.I.N. # that is stamped into the block just above the bellhousing and it has a combination of letters and numbers that don't appear to correlate to any production vehicle sequence number. Is there any way to find out if it's anything special? It's an early block, and uses a regular early style oil pan. I think he told me it was from Mopar Performance and used for testing purposes.

·
Banned
1,213 Posts
Funny I was pulling down a 90 CB a couple nights ago with my machinest buddy and we we were talking about how easy it would be to make four bolt main caps. Expect for the one covered by the rear main seal cover. It wouldn't be hard at all for a racer to have those caps made, just a little $.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 L-bodies said:
This is not Mark's block. He merely had his camera at my house and took some photos of the motor I am building up for a friend's car. The block was from a circle track racer from the Louisville, KY area who had connections with Chrysler. Is is certainly an odd block, that is for sure.
Sorry about the misunderstanding, anyway this block has definetly stirred up my interest in trying to find out if their is a stronger block than the 90+ CB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DodgeZ said:
Funny I was pulling down a 90 CB a couple nights ago with my machinest buddy and we we were talking about how easy it would be to make four bolt main caps. Expect for the one covered by the rear main seal cover. It wouldn't be hard at all for a racer to have those caps made, just a little $.
See threads on 4 bolt mains and then bed plates, lots of fuel for this proverbial fire err. idea, although many on the site don't think they are needed for CB&8v . :eek:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63804&highlight=4+bolt+main
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86057&highlight=bedplate
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60993&highlight=4+bolt+main
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48705&highlight=bedplate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts