Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 89 Lebaron GTC 5 Speed, but is has an engine out of 88 Lebaron it starts very well but if I wont to drive away I have rev the engine to about 1400 rpm so not to stall the engine. I had other cars where I could at idle slowly let the clutch out with out stalling engine, is this normal for this car? I increased the timing to 12 deg. did not help much. Not much bottom end power. It runs great on the Highway. What shuld be the oil pressure on an hot engine at idle.

·
Administrator
24,114 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

There are a lot of reasons the car may want to stall if you do not increase the rpm when engaging the clutch and have a lack of power.
1)Cam Timing
2)Fuel Pressure
3)Vacuum Leaks
4)Restricted Exhaust
5)Restricted Air Intake
6)Clutch/Pressure Plate Worn, does not engage properly.

What is engine vacuum reading at the manifold?
(16-20" HG is min to max at idle)
What rpm does the car idle at?
(Normal is 950 - 1000 rpms)

Oil Pressure as per Chrysler...
Cold Engine; 25-75 PSI
Warm Engine; 4 PSI Minimum
General Rule of Thumb; 10 PSI per 1000 rpm's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
89 lebaron GTC intercooled cars were t2. a555 vin code will tell u what it had in it.. then pull the part number on the smec. that should shed some light 2.5 smec wont run a 2.2 well fuel is all wrong among other things. However car will start and drive and run like shit.

if the GTC wasnt intercooled it should have been a 2.5t1 auto from factory. if it has an 88 t2 engine in it it will not run right due to calibration. if the engine is t2 you will need an 88-89 2.2 t2 smec and it should be plug and play. (set timing back to stock)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I am locking for the wiring diagram for 89 lebaron gtc. need it for the head light doors no power to the motor and what is the time relay relay for and how to test the relay it has a 2.5 engine

·
Administrator
24,114 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

The time delay relay is for interior lighting such as the ignition key halo, and switches when you pull up on the door handle or shut the engine off and open the door.

Power to the headlamp door motor comes from the headlamp relay module which on an 89 should be located center top of dash where a speaker would be located.
The headlamp relay module provides both power and ground for the motors.

If you would like the wiring send me your e-mail address thru a PM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have swapped 2.2 and 2.5 engines in the past without changing the computers. They ran just fine!! The difference in displacement is too small to cause much of an issue. However it's the Non Turbo I've done it to. Haven't with turbo but pretty sure not too different. Have also swapped between displacement with other car/engines before (many LH car people will change from the 2.7 to the 3.2/3.5 and continue to run with the original 2.7 computers) this, however, due to the more obvious difference in design and displacement has a few issues, mostly with maintaining idle speed, and sometimes being harder to start in the cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts