Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pardon me for saying... but wow... that is a really small blower... especially for a roots type.

Certainly unique... but I can't imagine it being very effective.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pardon me for saying... but wow... that is a really small blower... especially for a roots type.

Certainly unique... but I can't imagine it being very effective.
lol :)
I can keep up with a turbo II with 18 psi of boost....
I'm running at 3.5 psi of boost.... with a small carb...
I'm sure if I was running 8 psi and the bigger carb it would make a big difference too:thumb:
but it sounds cool and it's lots of fun :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you have pics of the hood cutout and the firewall cutout? And even measurements if you could. If I have to cut the firewall I may be selling my setup. :(
I have a turbo hood and it looks like the grilled hole is close to where the carb sits, at least I was hoping.
Here is a pic of my supercharged Rampage and the hood cutout I made. I had to trim a very small amount from the lip under the rubber seal on the top of the firewall, but not much. If you look at the side view you can barely see behind the carb where I cut out part of the lip under the rubber seal...nothing major.

1984 Supercharged Dodge Rampage - Cochranton, Pennsylvania

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's another one on ebay good till June 1, 08. I already have one so I don't need it. Item number: 250251994633 Dodge B&M Supercharger. In fact I think it's the one from a couple posts back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's another one on ebay good till June 1, 08. I already have one so I don't need it. Item number: 250251994633 Dodge B&M Supercharger. In fact I think it's the one from a couple posts back.
Yup, that's the same one I now have up for auction :thumb:. I have it listed in the for sale section here too BTW. Nice SC setup, worked great for me. I'd be hard to find one that looks nicer that's for sure. Hope it finds a good home.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure if you are aware, but the kits can no longer be bought new. These were sold by B&M and Mopar Performance (Direct Connection before that), back in the '80s. You'd have to find a used kit like the one I sold on Ebay if you want one.

Having said that, these were made for carbed cars only, not TBI. In their stock form, with the stock 5 psi pulley, if set up properly they could make a stock carbed 2.2 run about like a T-1. Benefits were it was a super easy conversion, no electronics, no FI, no wiring, just bolt it on for the most part. They made lots of instant torque, much like a V-8. Downside was that wheel spin will cost you ETs. But it sure is fun:p

Though there was some hood clearance and tensioner issues they were a really neat setup if that's what you were looking for. If you do a search in this forum you will see those issues outlined. There are guys running them now with a simple pulley swap that I know running 7-9 PSI...not bad for an otherwise stock carbed/piston setup.

If you are looking for a kit make sure it comes with: the blower (of course), blower bolts, blower intake, crankshaft pulley, power steering pulley...gaskets can be made, so no big deal if they are missing, tensioner doesn't work so it's not a necessary (again do a search here) and belt. I ran a smaller belt to eliminate the tensioner by doing a simple power steering pump bracket mod.

They also came with a shim to drop the compression of a stock N/A 2.2, but the early manuals said you could do this by stacking 2 head gaskets or run a water injection set up instead. All in all a cool set up that looks even cooler if you can find one :thumb:

·
Registered
141 Posts
They also came with a shim to drop the compression of a stock N/A 2.2, but the early manuals said you could do this by stacking 2 head gaskets :thumb:
:O wait a sec, sooo you Can stack head gaskets??? Hmmmmm i wonder if i was to stack a couple head gaskets if i would be able to slap on my 16v 420a head on without cutting the pistons!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
turbos are better than blowers. but blower dont have lag, they make boost right away where as a turbo you may have to wait fori t to "spool" before you see boost. blower take hp to make hp, where as turbos use Wasted energy (0 hp is used to run a turbo) to spin the turbo, blower put more strain on the crankshaft where as turbos do not. i can keep going but thats the basics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anything that is powered from the motor has a drain on it. I would agree that a Turbo has less draw on it's host. From what I can see the turbo setup cost less to build.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Congratulations. You are the idiot of the month. A turbo may not require 1 hp to spin, but it is an exhaust restriction, which cost power from the motor. Also consider power bands and such. If turbos take 0hp, why does it take time to spool? Shouldn't it always spin? Stop believing what you read in ricer mags...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know that i would go calling Garret engineers idiots of the month because they've been building turbos since before you were born if, I'm not mistaken they turbo charged the p-51 mustang .And thats exactly what they have to say turbos do not have parasitic losses you simply have to match what you are doing with the turbo ,The reason turbos take time to spool is the needed velocity and volume to turn the exhaust wheel produced by the motor.a turbo charger in a way is making the engine more efficient by using heat energy thats already been produced. The turbo cost the engine no horse power to turn because you have already produced the power to turn it regardless weather it is on the exhausts system or not! normally that power would simply be lost to the exhaust system. Superchargers need a lot more horsepower to turn thats why weiland wants you too double key crankshafts when you start pushing real boost. they do not rate this on rpm of the blower but boost produced by the blower it's all about clearances on the blower there is more horse power potential with a turbo charger. Look at the fuel we put in as far as horsepower potential and what we actually get out of it. Maybe thats why they consider diesel engines to be more fuel efficient because of less wasted heat=energy so a turbo uses heat,and air flow thats already produced ,that we cant use because of metallurgy limits(fried pistons)I will see if I can find were I got my information from the garret engineer it's on paper some where!:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 77 Posts