Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 1982 rampage converted to a shelby with the electrical and drive line out of a 86 charger. The truck ran great then parked it over winter. Now when it starts the power loss light is on and the rpm surge.

Any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Are you able to retrieve fault codes?
If so what are they?

Since the car ran fine before it sat I would start by looking for cracked/broken vacuum lines or wiring that critters may have eaten.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a process to retrieve them? I dont have the adapter to hook the scanner up

I have also checked all the vacuum lines and wiring I can see and everything looks normal

Thank you for replying!!

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
As long as all of the wiring for the original swap was done correctly, then yes...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as all of the wiring for the original swap was done correctly, then yes...

Awesome thank you I'll going to check this tonight and see what I can find! Will update after!

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
If the power loss lamp is on solid that means there is a hard fault code present, assuming everything was wired correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cycling the ignition twice then leaving it on to check the codes nothing is there and the light turns out.

Starting the motor the power loss light stays on during cranking and stays on while it surges and eventually dies

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
On/Off, On/Off On...
If no codes are showing it means the cluster is not properly communicating with the engine controller.
Will a scanner communicate through the diagnostic connector?
Other than that you will need to check each system/ circuit indivually.
1Fuel Pressure
2)Cam/Ignition Timing
3)Engine Vacuum/Vacuum Line Routing/Vacuum Line Condition.
4)Map Sensor Circuit
5)Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit
6) Throttle Position Sensor Circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked all the electrical plugs in the engine compartment and cleaned them, there was definitely a few that were not good and a couple sensors with the wire half broken that I repaired, still no luck, also checked the timing everything seems OK.

The AIC on the throttle body only turns one way?

If I cover the opening for the intake I can make it idle smoother with no surging but even at idle it sounds very labored.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also when I got it to idle on its own ANY throttle input and it would die. Or back fire and die. Every time it dies its violent and and followed by a backfire

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
Backfiring in the intake usually indicates an issue with Cam Timing/Valve Train.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info! I checked the injectors, and harness, even replaced it with another one all the connections for it are clean and good ran the ground for them directly to the battery still no luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts