Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 chrysler laser turbo. It has one intake with one filter and a silver valve cover. I am looking at a 1986 dodge daytona. Why does it have a black valve cover and a different intake? its also a turbo 1 with 146hp. Are they the same motor?

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Are they the same motor?
If they are both factory TI, then yes.

I have a 1986 chrysler laser turbo. It has one intake with one filter and a silver valve cover. I am looking at a 1986 dodge daytona. Why does it have a black valve cover and a different intake?
31 year old car, people can put different year parts on the car. Sounds like someone did some swapping, pictures?

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
all daytonas have the black valve cover and a different intake. im asking why
Yeah, no. Not all Daytona have black valve cover. Daytona have 4 different intake manifolds throughout the years and options.

84-87 TI engine uses the same draw-thru "log" intake manifold.

86 TII and 87 TII uses a unique 2 piece blow-thru intake manifold

88+ TI, 88+ TII, 89 TIV, 90TIV uses the same blow-thru intake manifold, could be sliver or black from factory. TI is usually silver, TII/TIV is usually black.

91 TIII have their 16 valves valve cover, with several different factory designs.

Black valve cover USUALLY comes on TII cars from factory, but then, anybody can paint/change a valve cover in the last 31 years.

Without PICTURES of the car YOU looked at, I don't think anyone can answer your questions with 100% certainty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my laser has the silver valve cover with the log. it looks like most of the daytonas had black valve covers with the double inake thing. can you also explain the difference between the t1 and t2? and when did the t2 come out?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,103 Posts
Reece. It's Mark Lucas, we have every version of TI and TII a half hour away. Feel free to come by with your Dad and study them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts