Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i started this weekend, first off this is not the easiest swap to do, and im no where near done, unfortunatly this is my daily driver, and its to replace my 2.5 w/ a cracked head. along with the 2.4 swap, im also swapping in the 4 speed auto that came in the stratus.

plans are to mount the distributor off the head, and batch fire the injectors, also a t25 garret pushing a few psi, with a FMU for now (4-5 psi)

so far its a TIGHT fit, the tranny is bigger, and looks like its going to hit the steering rack, motor mounts dont work, drivers side can be modified by enlonging the bolt holes, but im going to make 3 new solid mounts for it.... pics to come

·
Registered
604 Posts
How do you plan to run the 4spd? It requires the tranny controller, which is a bunch of wiring all by itself and then the controller wants to be able to talk with the engine controller as well. A 3spd would be the recommended path.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
You can bolt the 2.4 to a td tranny if you want to make it easier for you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You could always swap all the engine/trans wiring from the Stratus and run the 2.4 computer with no dizzy. Go Megasquirt later on since it can decode the Neon crank trigger. Best bet for an easy swap that starts up first try, as long as you can match up the requiered wires in the bulkhead connector. You'd probably need to add some sensors for the 'Tona gauge cluster.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 4 speed im making an electronic shifter for, until i finish it, ill shift it manually, ill have 1st, 2nd, and 4th. im going to use a 4 way joystick controller from an arcade game to control the solonoids, and a switch for torque converter lock up.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.4 is IN..... tigged up a 6" extension block to the motor mount, now i just have to make a new front mount at work tomorrow, and wire her up. borrowing a camera tomorrow for pics

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys..... kinda helps that i do it all day everyday tho :)

updates, turbo is on, motor is in completely..... wiring starts tomorrow morning

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Oh man, I was trying to figure out why it was a tight fit for you. That Stratus intake is a killer. I wanted to use that, but I opted for the Neon DOHC intake to save myself alot of rearranging. It's a direct bolt up. All you need are the Neon DOHC heater lines to go with it.

I wish I had the later style mounts for mine though. Looks alot nicer with the 90+ mounts.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
long day, more pics

coolant lines done
balance shafts removed, but have to redrop pan, oil pick up got forgotten :bang head (shit happens, we worked on her almost 15 hrs today)
50% of wiring done
drivers side axle - stock tona
passanger side axle - stock stratus shortened 1" (will have to wait until monday when i can tig it at work)
turbo oil lines are run, feed is too long, but its what i had

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stinkin 2.4 power steering pump pulley was rubbing the frame on my Omni.. I figured since it was plastic it'd just grind off some of the pulley and be fine.. heh.. It shattered instead.. Ooops. Next time I find a 2.4 PS pump, I will clearance the frame with a big hammer first. :)
yeah, so far i havent had too many fitment issues, cept the axle shaft

1 - 20 of 134 Posts