Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever purchase replacement DNJ pistons for their 2.5T? If anyone has installed them, how do you feel about them long term? Comments say they are cast pistons.

I understand these are not JE's, etc. but how do they compare to the OEM Mahle?

Open to critical comments.

Automotive lighting Material property Cosmetics Font Service

· Registered
13,610 Posts
You should ask arieskcar

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Anyone ever purchase replacement DNJ pistons for their 2.5T? If anyone has installed them, how do you feel about them long term? Comments say they are cast pistons.

I understand these are not JE's, etc. but how do they compare to the OEM Mahle?

Open to critical comments.

View attachment 283194
They actually impressed me a lot my cousin drove them for a year till he mangled his engine block trying to change a freeze plug and I had to pull em to keep the rods.
I have the pistons right here they look really good even though he ran bad/low gas and did neutral drops constantly 100 MPH on backroads non intercooled. They appear to be almost same as the factory pistons. Bottom right is a stock T1 piston looks same to me.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part Cylinder

These were .20 over so I use em for doorstops.

The fact that they held up for a full year of crazy abuse not intercooled leads me to think they are actually cast and not hyper crack pistons. This was the failed hyper cylinder 4 piston out of the same engine when I got the car. U can see why I got the Dnj pistons to replace the failed hyper pistons here...
Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Portable stove Auto part

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@arieskcar ,

So it seems from a past post the only issue you had was with the circleclips? But overall you felt they were a good replacement equivalent to the stock Mahle?

I definitely know to stay away from the Hypers, pretty clear on Donnovans site, and yours!

I have had to switch gears on both the van and the car. Had bigger plans for both, but I have 2 kitchens, 2 bathrooms to remodel by myself for our rental business to get done. Wife is sick of only one bathroom in our house, and it is pink!

Plan now is just get both back together, put my Garrett from the Rampage in the van, put the Mitsu in the Rampage, and intercool both. Crank up boost to 15 for a little passing power, and run them.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
@arieskcar ,

So it seems from a past post the only issue you had was with the circleclips? But overall you felt they were a good replacement equivalent to the stock Mahle?

I definitely know to stay away from the Hypers, pretty clear on Donnovans site, and yours!

I have had to switch gears on both the van and the car. Had bigger plans for both, but I have 2 kitchens, 2 bathrooms to remodel by myself for our rental business to get done. Wife is sick of only one bathroom in our house, and it is pink!

Plan now is just get both back together, put my Garrett from the Rampage in the van, put the Mitsu in the Rampage, and intercool both. Crank up boost to 15 for a little passing power, and run them.
Actually I mixed up all the clips and I used the really nice ones from the broken hyper pistons on 2 of them (snap ring clips) and all the clips held up for a full year and probably would have stayed on forever. The trick I heard was to make sure the opening faces up or down not sideways.

The problem with the DNJ clips was some of them didn't seem like they were springy enough and they just bent like they were cheap metal but I noticed the new DNJ pistons actually use the really nice snap ring clips.

These clips were on those broken hyper pistons and they were fine on the DNJ pistons.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DNJ does not make a piston for the early T-1's, and I see that ITM makes a piston for the early T1's, ITM-RY6715; cannot find any details weather they are cast or hyper pistons. Also need to find pistons for the Rampage. :unsure:

Household hardware Font Bicycle part Auto part Gas

· Registered
1,134 Posts
DNJ does not make a piston for the early T-1's, and I see that ITM makes a piston for the early T1's, ITM-RY6715; cannot find any details weather they are cast or hyper pistons. Also need to find pistons for the Rampage. :unsure:

View attachment 283208
It took me a good hour of research to find the Mexican DNJ website just to confirm they were actually cast and not hyper pistons. I would suggest you find the website for whoever makes those pistons otherwise you'll end up with hypers.

That pic shows floating T2 pistons. T1 pistons are pressed no lock rings.

Here's a hyper I pulled out of a T2 2.2. They actually look fine but I don't really want to use them...
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bicycle part Rim Motor vehicle

You can see the H in the part number denoting it is a hyper...

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet to pull the slugs from my early T1, but I thought the early T1's were a press pin, and the rest had a floating. Thought the picture was weird. Good to know that it is easy to tell if they are hyper by stamping on inside.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I have yet to pull the slugs from my early T1, but I thought the early T1's were a press pin, and the rest had a floating. Thought the picture was weird. Good to know that it is easy to tell if they are hyper by stamping on inside.
Only floating T1 was 2.5.

I noticed that some of the companies sell pressed and floating versions of the same pistons.

· Registered
3,346 Posts
Pin diameter is .9008 in all 2.2/2.5, 8 valve Engines.

The application chart below lists 1986 T-I which were all press and 1990 T-IV which were all floating.

In between the 1986 /1990 application are the 1987-1989 T-II

Thanks
Randy

Sealed Power 533P were the the closest to factory when available in cast, they look like Hypers now.

Application Summary
1990-1986 CHR L4 135CI 2.2L SOHC Turbo; 1988-1986 CHR L4 153CI 2.5L SOHC; 1988-1987 DT L/D L4 153CI 2.5L SOHC

Features & Benefits
  • Cast with FM132 Eutectic proprietary alloy
"An aluminum alloy that is satured with silicon is know as "eutectic." When the alloy contains silicon at a percentage that is less than saturated, it's called "hypoeutectic." When the alloy contains more silicon that then saturation limit, it's called "hypereutectic."

"If there is a downsides to hypereutectic pistons, it's that they're brittle compared to forged pistons. Therefore, forged pistons are more forgiving of extreme conditions (like those found in a race car), and they give you a greater margin of error when dealing with timing problems, as detonation is less likely to destroy a forged piston than a hypereutectic cast piston."

· Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sealed Power 533P were the the closest to factory when available in cast, they look like Hypers now.

Randy, thank you for this info.

Just curious, Part # is 533P .50mm - is this an oversize piston, or is it standard size? The .50mm is throwing me off.

Steve (TurboDodgeParts) has mentioned these pistons in a past post, did not like the quality. Are these better than a hyper, the same, or better quality? (Equivalent to OEM?)

I have heard (was it our conversation) of A,B, and C pistons. I noticed on two of mine in the dish are marked B, and two are marked C. Should I be concerned of the lettering, cylinder placement?

Does Sealed Power make an equivalent for a 2.5T?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,346 Posts
Right, the 50 mm is oversize.

These are the new equivalent Sealed Powers.

I just posted that link for information purposes.

EG: Floating 2.2 piston can be used on a pres fit rod.

No sense having 2 part #'s when one will work for both.

And, the part # was originally for a good quality 2.5 T-I cast piston.

There may be some old stock in some old parts dept, maybe??

They obviously kept the same part # for the inferior Hypereutectics.

Right, the ABCD were select fit by about .0003" to match production tolerances.

I would put them back in the same bore just because the rods are probably numbered.

But, it wouldn't bother me in the least to use a different letter.

Are the DNJ's available in standard size??

Thanks
Randy

Randy, thank you for this info.

Just curious, Part # is 533P .50mm - is this an oversize piston, or is it standard size? The .50mm is throwing me off.

Steve (TurboDodgeParts) has mentioned these pistons in a past post, did not like the quality. Are these better than a hyper, the same, or better quality? (Equivalent to OEM?)

I have heard (was it our conversation) of A,B, and C pistons. I noticed on two of mine in the dish are marked B, and two are marked C. Should I be concerned of the lettering, cylinder placement?

Does Sealed Power make an equivalent for a 2.5T?

Thanks!

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Right, the 50 mm is oversize.

These are the new equivalent Sealed Powers.

I just posted that link for information purposes.

EG: Floating 2.2 piston can be used on a pres fit rod.

No sense having 2 part #'s when one will work for both.

And, the part # was originally for a good quality 2.5 T-I cast piston.

There may be some old stock in some old parts dept, maybe??

They obviously kept the same part # for the inferior Hypereutectics.

Right, the ABCD were select fit by about .0003" to match production tolerances.

I would put them back in the same bore just because the rods are probably numbered.

But, it wouldn't bother me in the least to use a different letter.

Are the DNJ's available in standard size??

Thanks
Randy
Standard and .20 over are on the catalog and available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts