Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found an 89 turbo lebaron in my area for cheap. I'm guessing it has a 2.5 but I'm not certain. If it does I've already read swapping the motor isn't an issue, mottor mounts will swap. What about the tranny, will it swap over also?
Probably better to have that tranny right instead of the stock auto I have now?
What about the computer stuff for fuel mgmt and the turbo?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Yeah if you grab the 2.5 the computer and electronics will be needed. The computer for turbo and NA is obviously different lol. But yeah you'll need the computer, harness, turbo and solenoids, MAP, distributor too with the two wire hep, pretty much all of the underhood stuff to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Probably the easiest turbo swap off all time. 1989 turbo automatics were 2.5.

Use the 89 omni mounts and axles and use the engine/trans and underhood wiring harness & computer from the LeBaron.

The Omni has a bulkhead connector at the firewall for the wiring and "if" the LeBaron has a bulkhead connector it will plug in. 1989 Caravan turbo harness will plug in with the wiper/washer wires need some attention.

There seems to be some debate about LeBarons having a firewall bulkhead connector, I've never seen one but reportadly many have. Daytonas, Shadows etc have the wiring pass through the firewall and plug into the fuse box with different connectors. If this is the case I have spliced the harnesses together.

Also you need to replace the Omni TBI low pressure in tank fuel pump with the LeBaron high pressure turbo fuel pump.

Good luck!
Thanks
Randy

I think I found an 89 turbo lebaron in my area for cheap. I'm guessing it has a 2.5 but I'm not certain. If it does I've already read swapping the motor isn't an issue, mottor mounts will swap. What about the tranny, will it swap over also?
Probably better to have that tranny right instead of the stock auto I have now?
What about the computer stuff for fuel mgmt and the turbo?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can convert to T2 and run an 87 type computer.
I've been running a 86 GLHS LM for a few years, with my new setup
I'm going to switch, I've been told there's more options for the 87 LM
One of the TD vendors can hook you up with a custom cal

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I'd swap everything under the hood and get new Omni auto trans axles

Contact NAJ here for wiring pin outs at the fire wall to double check them, make sure you look at model year not build dates for the engine. Get a copy of the vac system from NAJ and print it out.

add a Garret and intercooler while in that far
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/358228-getting-20-pounds-per-square-inch.html

Add 2.5" exhaust at least and get the 3 bar computer for a basically stock top end.

Pretty easy swap, a 2.5 is a little much torque wise I think for the Omni's but it'll be fun though. Also look at doing mods to the trans to stiffen it up.

A lot can be done with the setup. Once it is going you'll want more brakes and springs etc. Lots out there in junk yards. If the lebaron has solid rear disks grab them for the rear of the Omni and get the fronts off an 80's mini van, then add the master cylinder from the lebaron or a new one for the lebaron. Like a cow there isn't really much you should let go to waste on the lebaron lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've recently done the same swap, except into an 87. Yes there is a bulkhead in the Lebaron, but it goes through the firewall and then to a bracket that holds the connectors. Also there is a bunch of stuff you don't need. Airbags, headlight doors, cruise, information center. Get rid of all the extra length and wires you don't need. Your gonna need the underhood space.

The brakes are almost fool proof, be sure to get the brackets to hold the caliper brake hoses in the rear. The emergency brake cable needs a little work. I think I had to find some shorter springs and "thread" them on to the Omni cable.

Your gonna want to find a set of GHL 5 lug knuckles and hubs, to do the brake swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts