Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I found a Daytona IROC T3 with a bad bottom end.

I have a good 89 2.5 L common block sitting in my garage.

I know that if you use the neon had with a 2.0 cams, it would be a non-interference motor. but does the same apply to the Lotus head? I can't seem to find anything about the Lotus head with a 2.5 bottom end.

I am just curious if putting the 2.5 l black under the Lotus head makes it non interference or interference, also is there the possibility of buying Pistons with valve reliefs to make it non interference?

And while on the subject, what about making a 2.2 L what about making a 2.2 L non interference?

My end goal is to use the 2.5 L bottom end, to enjoy the car in the meantime and work on other aspects of the vehicle, while rebuilding the original 2.2 engine. whether I should keep the 2.5 L under the Lotus head, or use the 2.2, and what are my options to make a non-interference to avoid headaches down the line.

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
10,173 Posts
The lotus TIII system was designed to be a non interference head-piston design

However, you will need custom valves with the proper reliefs cut in order to keep that non interference aspect of the TIII with a 2.5 rotating assembly.

Or use the TIII pistons and make up the difference with shorter rods.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lotus TIII system was designed to be a non interference head-piston design
Ohh, everything i read the other night said it was interference. Go internet!!

I guess in that case I'll probably just keep the 2.2 in it.

Fwd performance sells Venolia 2.5 pistons for the TIII motor pn: 43-0195
Any idea any idea if those would cause interference? or is that something I would have to ask them?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why is it that the 2.5l is interference on the lotus dohc, but not on the neon dohc?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts