Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5L '89 Daytona ES with a thrown rod. I'm wanting to do an engine swap and trying to figure out what would be best.

Idea #1:
Swap a late model DOHC 2.4L (pre-2004) and change out cams and stuff for more power

Idea #2:
Swap a 3.3/3.8 pushrod V6 into it.

Idea #3:
Put another sluggish 2.5L in there.

Idea #4: 2.5L block with the 2.4L head

I have no idea if any these can keep the transmission, or what would be the best tranny to put in it. It currently has the a470 3-speed auto slushbox.

If someone could give me a good idea of what would be a good combo to swap over that wouldn't be a ridiculous amount of work, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(Mods if this needs moved, please move it to where ever you feel it's appropriate)

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
a470? You sure about that? It should have an a413 from the factory.

Any of those options is possible. All but #3 will require custom work of some kind. Putting the full 2.4 in has been done and would give more power and newer parts. Need to do custom mounts and aftermarket engine management. Similarly for putting the 2.4 head on the 2.5 block, need to mod the parts to work together and use Megasquirt or a MPFI cal'd computer. Obviously you can use your transmission with the 2.4 head swap since the block is the same. The 413 will bolt to the 2.4, but one of the bolt holes is different. That can be worked around.

No Daytona ever came with the 3.3/3.8, so you'd need to do some custom mounting and fitting. Probably use a Dynasty or New Yorker and graft all the parts onto your car. Be a bit of a pain though. Heavier engine, marginal increase in power with the 3.3. Lots of torque from the 3.8 though. You'd need to swap to an a670 transmission.

Swapping in a 2.5 turbo would be the easier way to get more power and not do a ton of metal work, etc. Find a donor car and swap everything in. Basically plug and play. Your transmission won't like the extra power of the turbo, so you'd want to use the turbo trans as well. That's the easiest solution for swaps.

If your car's body isn't worth it, just cut it loose and look for a turbo car to begin with.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

The body is pretty much in perfect condition. I rebuilt the interior and sanded/painted the outside and cleaned the engine back before I sold it to my nephew who blew the engine. I know some one I can get another N/A 2.5L from, but this engine has no power what so ever.

I find it would be easier to just change out the transmission and the engine at the same time, instead of trying to smash two things together that don't belong.

Or maybe trying to go for a 3.0L since it seems to have a lot power adders.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
The 3.0 has a lot of custom power adders. Almost everything is home-brew or brute force. Lots of guys just put turbos or superchargers on them. They're decent enough engines, just don't expect a lot of easy power to be made with bolt-on, store bought stuff.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For money I'd like to spend a maximum of around $1200. I'm really just not wanting to put a less efficient and powerful engine back in it when I could just spend some more time and money to make it a worth while machine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I vote 3.8 swap. You should be able to get that to bolt up with the right combo of factory parts and run it off an SBEC.
That's the direction I'm starting to sway in with the 3.8L.

From reading around this is a sound setup;

Block: 1991 3.8L
Heads: 2001+ 3.8L
Cam: 2001+ 3.8L
Computer: Megasquirt
Transmission: ???
Motormounts: 1990 Dodge Dynasty

But if you guys have any opinions about this, go ahead and post. Not too many people have done this swap, but it sounds really cool to me. Yes, it's heavier, but I'm very familiar with these engines and it's got good torque on low RPM.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Go for it. Find a rusted out heap with a 3.8 and just transfer over as much as you can. Going to need to weld in some custom mounts. It's a shame there isn't a good manual trans option for you with that motor. Start a project log and keep us updated!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Go for it. Find a rusted out heap with a 3.8 and just transfer over as much as you can. Going to need to weld in some custom mounts. It's a shame there isn't a good manual trans option for you with that motor. Start a project log and keep us updated!
Why would he need to make custom mounts? Don't all platforms use the same passenger side engine mount as long as it's the same style mount(I.E. pre/post 90')?

@OP Do you have the newer style big mount or the older little one? Can you get some pictures of your passenger side mount?

I've compared the mounts at the junkyard and I don't think they designed the engine mount around each platform. They designed the platform around the engines/mounts except the front mount and there are two different styles. At least with 3.0l engines that is...

It does suck that they never made a five speed widely available with that bellhousing pattern. If they did my van would have a supercharged 3.8. There is a guy with a 5-speed sebring rt that always flies past my house ricer style. I will have that trans someday...:brows:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll get pics for you all tomorrow, I'll definitely look at the mounts. Some where on the forums here I read you can bolt up the 2.7L manual with some modifications, but the 4-speed bolts straight up to it.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Why would he need to make custom mounts? Don't all platforms use the same passenger side engine mount as long as it's the same style mount(I.E. pre/post 90')?

@OP Do you have the newer style big mount or the older little one? Can you get some pictures of your passenger side mount?

I've compared the mounts at the junkyard and I don't think they designed the engine mount around each platform. They designed the platform around the engines/mounts except the front mount and there are two different styles. At least with 3.0l engines that is...
I thought the 3.3/3.8 had different mounts than the other engines. The Daytona never came with that engine as an option, so it would make sense that the mount would have to be custom fit. But maybe not. I've never looked into the swap myself.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
When you think of the Caravans though, they came with the 2.5l, 3.0l, and the 3.3/3.8l so I would think they would for the most part be interchangeable for body mounting locations. Especially since the motor mounts to a Minivan are the same as the ones in a K-car based vehicle (minus the L-bodies, that would require some modification).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So. That's what's up with the old engine. Probably could put a new connecting rod and bearing on it and see if it will live again. Got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Sonuva... well I guess it does use the same mounts. Hm, something else to add to my future project list maybe. Good luck with yours. I'll be watching this closely. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.