Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Yup. I think this will be the simplest way to go. The only other option would be to utilize an EVO drivetrain and the purist in me doesn't want to go quite that far. The 523 transmissions are strong enough, the transfer cases seem massive enough. I'll have to figure out what to modify on the K-frame / power steering rack, relocate the gas tank, build a rear end, etc. My 1991 V-6 Daytona which is rusty and basically in shambles will be what I use to practice on.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The A-543 is the v6 trans, that's what your going to use right? (A523, while internally the same, is a 4-cyl trans)

I don't know if the evo T-case and such would work at all, but honestly haven't researched it since the caravan is a known item. There's a thread on the "other" forum has a 2.4 turbo AWD omni with a Dedion rear end running, thing is wicked with just the stock components. supposedly on 3si.org, they think the caravan T-case is beefier than the 3000GT one too...

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The EVO transfer case probably would have a very tough time mating up to a Chrysler 543 transmission. I was referring to the possibility of using a Mitsubishi transmission. Mitsubishi's manual transmissions have been a big F-you in the past and I'm not up for dealing with that. The only thing that I've ever seen fail in a 543 transmission more than once was a broken differential pin which may have been worn due to 1-wheel wonders before the breakage. Someone has made a 3G AWD manual transmission car with a V-6, so that sounds like an option at least.

The DSM and 3/S transfer cases are puny, yet they hold up just fine to all sorts of abuse. The Chrysler Minivan one is substantially bulkier, and one would THINK that it should take significantly more power.

I have hopes on using the rear end from a 2001+ Caravan like what Carlos did. It has the "reversible" AWD function built into it and retains the overrunning clutch setup which requires the front wheels to spin before the rears do anything. Leaving the front differential open will actually help things out as well with this setup. This will allow me to toss on a donut spare somewhere on the car without driveline binding, and besides, I feel it is extremely important to have at least a center differential. Those people who run their cars without one do not realize the driveline binding that is constantly occurring on the open highway and it WILL take its toll in due time. But I will do some research on using the older Chrysler minivan rear end and just possibly live without AWD in reverse. That shift fork apparatus for AWD in reverse just takes up more room which I may not have. The car won't be driven off road nor in the winter, so I don't see the big deal with 2wd reverse.

To get the ball rolling, I'll need to get a MIVEC engine, bolt it up the Chrysler flywheel & clutch which I have laying around, then bolt up the 543 trans I have in the shed, then find a Chrysler AWD transmission to hoard parts out of, get the necessary stuff machined to fit the 543. Then get a 1992 Transfer case with the speed sensor hole, remove the K-frame, install the powertrain, fab up a mount for the MIVEC engine, chop up the K-frame until it fits and reinforce it. Fab up a rear end, cut out the spare tire well and replace it with a gas tank, fab up brakes for the rear, make friends with a custom drive shaft shop, get the necessary axles and propeller shaft made. Then fab up some exhaust so that it goes around the propeller shaft. Then I get to deal with power steering, air conditioning, and an alternator. Its going to be a LONG project. By far the largest and lengthiest I've ever done.

Then somewhere in there get the engine to run.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
at least you have a (semi) plan :). IRGT getting it running, if you decide to go MS, Ed and I should have close enough tunes to get you started at least. If you can snag a MIVEC 3.8 that would be great, they aren't that common IIRC. Most of the 3.8s I've seen or heard of swapped were base 3.8's not MIVEC motors.

BTW, I remembered a few other things you will need to address: the 3.8 uses a returnless fuel system and an electronic throttle, however, the fuel rails from a 3.5 are the regular Return style and bolt in. The 3.5 throttle will also bolt on and is a standard cable throttle as well.

I was able to get the power steering to work quite easily. I got one mitsu hi-pressure hose and one dodge one, took them to a hydraulic shop and had them cut the two and put a hydraulic coupler on. Haven't had any problems in 30,000 miles. On the return, its low enough pressure that regular lines and hose clamps work fine. You will probably need a reservoir of some sort as the mitsu pump doesn't have one built in.

I'll get back to you on the A/C but as far as I can tell, my setup "should" work just fine. Although I'd suggest getting a little longer line than what I ended up with. Mine will be a bit tight on the fit but should still work.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.