Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had this problem before, I have never seen or even remotely heard of this problem before. Took my car out of the storage unit, fired up fine after sitting 6 months ( Minnesota ) ; let it warm up a while when i was looking at the tires and how much they weathered from the cold added little air to 2 of them and i was off for a sunday stroll. Started to hear a (pinging) noise, rapid ping ping ping ping ping ping about 2 pings a second. Pulled over popped hood and listened ; not coming from moter, not coming from turbo, not coming from trany. OK whatever, "get back to shop". Check torque converter bolts solid, moter mounts solid, brackets pulleys all good, gave everything a good shake all in order... Next day ping ping ping ping with like growl kinda like" ggthr ggthr thrr rthr guthrr rr r "with pings in between, Sorry not trying to be funny here but this car has me up a wall all i can do is laugh i guess... anyways driving down the road, moter winds out reeeeennnnn 6100 R.P.M.'s nothing like i was in neutral reeennn reen reen. shut it down ... went to start, fly wheel spinning moter not. Back at shop pull trany i knew there was no need to pull torque converter bolts sure enough bolts in crank flex plate on converter.. Got New flex plate from Dodge Dealership that day " Brother-in-law is a service writer there" got the high torque plate... 2 Days = 58 miles shredded the shit out of it... Trany off did everything to procedure this time Flex Plate broke in the exact same pattern as the other one.......:bang head Anyone ever went through this before ill try anything i may even put the original A520 back in, dont want to... Im lost... Help... Helllllp HELLLLPPPP...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
You never heard of this problem?

Check number 21.
DDG- Common failure items and mistakes

Sorry, don't have any solution for you. I don't know of any ready to buy stronger aftermarket flexplate. People have cut the section out of one plate and welded to another to add strength to that area.

This plate was off my friend's TC. It makes noise like crazy buy it still drove at freeway speed fine.
He just bought a replacement from partsamerica.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
man that sucks, funny that it just happened when you got it back out.

I have read about checking the converter mounting pads, making sure they are even, otherwise it can cause this. Did you use loctite when you reinstalled? Did you torque them down?(thinks its 70-75 ft/lbs?) I would also get some new bolts now for when you try again and use RED loctite.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When flex plates consistently break, it's usually an indication that the fit between the crank centering hole and the nose of the converter is very loose. could be the converter or the crank or both are worn.

Also, the converter may be balloned or too thick. When the tranny is against the engine, there should be about .070 between the flex plate and the converter tabs before the bolts pull the two parts together.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think im going to put the stick back in but i cant find a clutch pedal for the life of me gosh, dunno yet. Have been searching vigourously for a high performance flexplate...
(( IDEA ) Flywheel machined so i can bolt a torque converter on, spacers in the bell housing and recenter the moter ???)
I hate to have wasted all that money on my tranny and not get to use it. I'm extreamly open to any advise or pointers your set-ups. I thought about welding a cutoff flexplate like someone said, but would'nt that be unballenced as hell....
(Another IDEA)
(( Flexplate centered spinning plasma cutter, or cutting tortch. weld in same process spinning at slower speed, rebalence using a tire balencer ))

CANT FIND A DAGON CLUTCH PEDAL OR A DEICENT FLEXPLATE THAT WILL TAKE JUST A LITTLE FLEXING WTF

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Did you check the tighness of the fit like I said above? If it's loose, then no reinforced flex plate is going to help.

I weld a support plate on mine all the time. Once it's done, I re-balance it. I run my engine up to 8500 RPM, no problems.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
stupid question, did you use new bolts? perhaps the ones used are from a flywheels and not a flexplate- might be different. :shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which plate is new? They both look well used.
they all have been new had a leaky axle seal, puttin another new one in right now. Also fixin the little leak, if one went bad mies well replace de odder one too, huh... As you can see i got a little piece of steel welded in there too, i attached the whole thing to a bench grinder welded; then used a dremel with that thing really wippin and cleaned it up hope it works. " If it dont then im gonna drillpress converter holes in a flywheel that i took the face off... Huh face-off, face off, thats a good movie. I guess well see...

Shop's a little dirty, i got hay 2 stalls down; it gets every where.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Is that flexplate bolted up backwards? Looks backwards from this angle.
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts