Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice 2000 Neon with a bad engine. I want to swap in a n/a 2.4 from a 2000 Status. both cars are auto trannys.. will this work? I've scanned the neon forums but most of them are swapping 2.4s in the 1 Gen bodies not the 2 Gen bodies. I would like to go 2.4 5sp as soon as I can find a neon 5sp tranny at pulllaparts.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the 2.4 n/a swap would be easy, might be able to get away with using stock pcm/ wiring. you might have to buy the indy intake manifold though......

honestly, buy the car w/ bad motor (if its a steal) and save your pennies for the srt drivetrian you really want

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
honestly, buy the car w/ bad motor (if its a steal) and save your pennies for the srt drivetrian you really want
I looked into that when I had my 00 Neon. Its like owning an 84 turbo Daytona and wanting to T-II it. The wiring is different between the 00 and 01. F'n Chrysler and their one year only crap.:bang head

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The deal fell through on the Neon so I didn't get,,
But I did see a 2gn Neon at the drag strip with a DOCH head, turbo'ed and IC'ed. Running the stock 2.0 block and stock electronics. He said he was only running 8-9 lbs boost. Ran high 13s on street tires.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
actually....a 2.4 n/a 5spd would make for a good daily driver (87 octane). they should have put the 2.4 in the neon as soon as it came out...not kept with that puny little 2.0......give me a long stroke torque monster any day!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I helped my district manager put an SRT engine in his '00 NEON. There was a lot of wiring modifications to run the SRT controller, but it was well worth the effort. If using the stock engine mounts and non-SRT hood then the bracing under the hood on the right side must be cut out for timing belt cover clearance. We also used the 3 speed auto from the '00 model. The bellhousing close to the SRT throttle body had to be "polished" a bunch for clearance. Darrel Cox Racing will mod the intake for a fee in order to avoid the bellhousing to throttle body issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Hey
We just got done doing this swap (for the second time crack block the first time) and our 00 was a auto (that was the hardest part of the swap (no the crack block was) well we thought we might have something go wrong so we found someone that had a new SRT short block and traded the stock 2.0 drive train well we got it done bit she does not start we our trying to find how to trouble shoot the timing it looked right before we put it in but I don't know if I had to do anything with the crank trigger or cam sen so if anybody know how I can trouble shoot the timing Please e-mail with the info
[email protected]
Thanks
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts