Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Don't see why thats relevant just wanted to throw it out there.
Anyway I've been on this website for a while now and seen alot of amazing 3.0 and it has inspired me to start my turbo duster project :) I just had one question i couldn't answer myself. Is it possible to put 24V DOHC heads from a stealth on our blocks. I know they are both 181 blocks, i also know that the ignition systems are different. So any advice as to how it could happen would be amazing. Because i don't want the stealth motor i have sitting in my garage to go to waste.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
if you have the whole motor, don't even bother swapping the heads, yeah they will bolt on but the timing belt, oil filter etc are all in different spots. your going to run into issues with hose routing, PS lines, exhaust will need to be modified (3KGTs didn't have a K-member like the P-bodies). your probably going to run into a lot of issues like i did swapping the SOHC 24v. It MAY fit in the engine bay but your heads are wider than mine and i don't have that much wiggle room left at all.

btw is it a VR-4 TT or just an N/A SL DOHC motor?

do some searching, this has been asked before. AFAIK, no one has COMPLETED a DOHC swap into a P-body, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If you look up my threads on my swap, you can probably get a good idea what you will need to do to get it to work. It wont be exact and you will have some different issues but anything is possible (with enough $$$ lol)

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No its not the VR-4 tt its just the N/A model Wish it was, but I'm not that lucky. But i've look into your mods alot :) car is amazing, but you did your own wiring harness, and that is some stuff i have no clue how to mess with... i have access to a 3.0 SOHC motor but my girl won't let me strip it from here stratus just yet.
So i guess the next question is, would it make more sense do a complete motor swap? If so would our tans match up? because i know the bottom half is 181 block like ours. are they identical?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
you'd pretty much have to go standalone on the EMS side (but Megasquirt is cheap and not that hard to set up initially) the wiring isn't too bad its fairly easy, just solder EVERYTHING and NO butt connectors!

Do the whole motor and adapt. you are going to run into more issues if you try and swap the heads. (timing belt tesioners etc are all different). you can adapt the PS pump line with a hydraulic coupling, the trans bolt holes are the same but i had to grind one spot on the bell housing to get a flat fit. the DOHC block may have something similar, i'd suggest mating the trans to the motor OUTSIDE the car and making sure you get a flat fit. I also had to shim out the starter with 2 washers stacked on all 3 bolts so i wasn't eating starters every 10 starts.

Also you will probably have to adapt or make your own passenger side motor mount and mess with the intake. the intake SHOULD be able to turn 180* (Im not sure but worst case i think you can rotate both the UIM and LIM)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.