Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 92 plymouth duster with the 3.0 5spd. yesterday i was driving the car and it started cutting out and missing and backfiring quite loudly. now it wont even run. I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Im also using a msd blaster 2 coil and stock distributor. i have spark in all 6 cylinders but still no fire when cranking. I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel rail and there is plenty of fuel pressure. i dont have a fuel pressure tester but im using a walkbro 255 so im sure its got plenty of fuel pressure. the pump is less than a month old. im not positive if i have any fuel going into the engine. Id rather skip replacing multiple parts and guessing at what needs to be replaced. Im not sure what tests i should run or what i should even check for now. a couple days ago i started throwing a code for an o2 sensor but i cant see how it would cause any of this. Is it possible my injectors are fried or my PCM has malfunctioned? any other ideas or suggestions on what i should check or test please let me know
:bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i have a 92 plymouth duster with the 3.0 5spd. yesterday i was driving the car and it started cutting out and missing and backfiring quite loudly. now it wont even run. I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Im also using a msd blaster 2 coil and stock distributor. i have spark in all 6 cylinders but still no fire when cranking. I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel rail and there is plenty of fuel pressure. i dont have a fuel pressure tester but im using a walkbro 255 so im sure its got plenty of fuel pressure. the pump is less than a month old. im not positive if i have any fuel going into the engine. Id rather skip replacing multiple parts and guessing at what needs to be replaced. Im not sure what tests i should run or what i should even check for now. a couple days ago i started throwing a code for an o2 sensor but i cant see how it would cause any of this. Is it possible my injectors are fried or my PCM has malfunctioned? any other ideas or suggestions on what i should check or test please let me know
:bash::bash::bash:
Your write up is a little confusing. You write "i have spark in all 6 cylinders but still no fire when cranking" Are you saying you have spark but it won't start? You need 4 basic things for an engine to run air, fuel, compression, and spark. Air most likely is not a problem unless you have a cat stuck in your air cleaner. If you do mean you have spark that should not be an issue. So that means it would be either compression or fuel. Valve timing can effect compression. If you belt broke you would loose your spark since the distributor would not turn. So again if you have spark the belt didn't break but it could have jumped and that would alter compression and possibly ignition timing if the front cam is off. Pulling the cam covers I don't think is hard to check cam timing on a 3.0. As far as fuel you may have pressure in the rail and the injectors not fire and the engine won't start. I believe 3.0 have had issues with the injector harnesses melting from heat near the harness plug on top of the engine. If this were my car With what you say of having spark I would shoot a little starting fluid in the air cleaner and see if the engine wants to start. If so you have a fuel issue.
Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah sorry i have spark in all 6 cylinders but its not starting... and yeah that makes i just replace the water pump and timing belt and tensioner about 1,000 miles ago. Time to double check my work. ill pick up some starting fluid today too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts