Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2.2 4cyl is too slow for my 1983 rampage, what woult it take to install a 3.0 V-6 (as is found in the dynasty, caravan...)?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
We also have v6 owners looking to swap in a turbo 4. Might wanna reconsider- the low end torque would be useless in such a light car. "lag for the traction, boost for the action" :thumb:

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
We also have v6 owners looking to swap in a turbo 4. Might wanna reconsider- the low end torque would be useless in such a light car. "lag for the traction, boost for the action" :thumb:
might want to buy a new car too :rolleyes:
I guess Im gonna be an asshole and post in every thread "hey, why dont you swap a 3.0 instead"
You know that wouldnt go over very well.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
How big is the rampage engine bay? I know people have shoe horned the 3L into an omni, so it will fit. The question it what it will take?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Uhhh.... the low end torque is not useless. I had my 3.0L sundance down to about 2400 lbs and it would run 2.0 - 2.1 60 footers all day long on all season tires! 0-60mph was in the 5's at the track, easily in the 6's on the street.

It's about learning the clutch and throttle. Once you get it down, these cars HAUL ASS out of the hole! I have beat alot of RWD cars off the line.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Uhhh.... the low end torque is not useless. I had my 3.0L sundance down to about 2400 lbs and it would run 2.0 - 2.1 60 footers all day long on all season tires! 0-60mph was in the 5's at the track, easily in the 6's on the street.

It's about learning the clutch and throttle. Once you get it down, these cars HAUL ASS out of the hole! I have beat alot of RWD cars off the line.
Not worrying about when or if the turbo is spooling makes torque/hp 100% predictable and easy to launch on the street/track when you have some practice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I measured up a 3.3 and a 2.2, and they're not that different. 3.0 should be smaller than a 3.3. Side to side shoud be the same since 2.5's and 3.0's were in the shadows. Use a manual for more fun and more space. Axle ends might need to be swapped, but L body axles might work? Planning on putting a 3.3 in an Omni when I get time, didn't think of a 3.0 in a Rampage until after I had the 2.5 in... N/A is probably better for autocrossing, unless you use a VNT to really get the spool fast. Alternator and P/S could get tight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, the 3.0 does fit in an Omni. Here are a few interesting pics I collected a few years ago. I just don't recall who this was. This was NOT my project. zjrog/Interesting stuff - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As I recall from plenty of discussion in years past, motor mounts are different. If using a 5 speed, the strut for that is in a different place. The biggest problem is axle shafts. If I recall, the L bodies had a smaller diamtere axle for most years. But if I remember right, there was a year or two where the trans outputs used the larger diamater axles. Otherwise, you need to have axle shafts made.

Drop in a free breathing and lightly modded 3.0 and that would be a lot of fun for Rampage/Scamp. Not as fiersome as a turbo 4, but still plenty for the little trucks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the low end torque of a 3.0, its easy enough to sacrifice some of that by playing with the exhaust and intake sides of the system. Look at the low end torque sacrificed by people who in porting the 3.0 manifolds, take out that center divider.

As to a 3.3, I love that engine but you will probably have to stick with an a604 which is a big negative.

·
Banned
55 Posts
I have heard that the bolt pattern between the 3.0 and 3.3 is the same. Has anyone looked at this? A 5 speed would be better, and probably easier to fit. I know there are probably some mods that have to be dealt with. It cant be that easy!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have heard that the bolt pattern between the 3.0 and 3.3 is the same. Has anyone looked at this? A 5 speed would be better, and probably easier to fit. I know there are probably some mods that have to be dealt with. It cant be that easy!!
Its not the same.

I dunno where people keep getting this information BUT IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG.

I hear someone on some board ask this question once every 3-6 months.

The 3.3 and 3.0 have totally different bolt patterns.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
There is one 5-sp out there that should bolt up to the 3.3L. For a short time the Stratus R/T came with a 2.7L and a 5-sp. That 5-sp should bolt up to a 3.3L, but is very rare!

When you do an online jy search, make sure the yard is not confusing the Autostick for a true manual trans.

·
Banned
55 Posts
I am guessing that its an 02-04, based on a search that I just did. If so, I am covered!!!! I have one readily available!!

I should be able to verify, later this week.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do any of the holes line up?? I need to dig out one of each and look closer. Otherwise, it might be TIG time!!!
Only if you do that, you run the risk of screwing up the location of the sensor for the 3.3 DIS.

It would take some precision machine work to switch bellhousings like that and still have the stock 3.3 ignition operate.

The 5spd idea is interesting but AFAIK no one has yet confirmed if it will work or if the 3.3 DIS will still be an issue.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Every 2.7 that I've seen was mounted longitudinally. I don't know if the stratus R/T was transverse but if it wasn't then you can forget any chance of bolting it up the the sideways 3.3

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.