Turbo Dodge Forums banner

3.3 Beehives - Did I do it right?

862 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Mudman 
#1 ·
Been pouring through the various posts about this mod, including Pope's sticky. I've learned a lot about valvetrains in general because of it, which is good lol.

I just want to make sure I fully understand the mod. Those who know (Pope, detobias, etc.) please check my work.

3.3 Springs - RockAuto

Retainers - COMP Cams Steel Valve Spring Retainers 774-16

Keepers/Locks - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEPVK144R

I will need to upgrade my exhaust valves to single groove design - Chris at TU should be able to hook me up if I give him a ring, yeah?

Also, as far as I understand it's not necessary to change out the intake valves?

Will need to have machinist check closed pressure and shim springs as necessary - looking for at least 80lbs, but looking for more like 95-105

Running stock/TBI cam so coil bind shouldn't be an issue, but will have machinist check that as well.

Is there anything I've missed?? Looking forward to getting confirmation on this. My head is already off the car so it's the perfect time to freshen up the valvetrain.

See less See more
#5 ·
found this old email
Jeff & Team - OK heres my comments; and I am running this combo so I have some perspective :)

GM steel 10166344 cap will work (e.g. LS6 v8 or '95 3100, also "LS-1" it seems); don't pay more for aftermarket unless they are aluminum or titanium

you can certainly do this in car; if using used 3.3 springs I would quickly check them at a machine shop just to make sure none are dead but I would be surprised if they were, then drop em in using stock keepers and the 10166344; installed height will be fine

my machinist said installed pressure (used 3.3 springs) was about 80# which he thought was a bit low so he added 1 shim (.030 IIRC) which brought installed up to 90 ; personally I think it wouldve been fine w/o a shim but then I'm not a pro machinist either

there really isnt an inexpensive tool to check spring "height versus pressure" but every machine shop will have the tool and should be willing to spend the 5 min it would take to check 8 springs; perhaps bring a cold 6 pack with you ...

this is a straight up swap and as long as all the parts are in good shape there is really no custom fitting required. its not critical to get installed pressure of each spring exactly the same, our stock springs vary quite a bit after they've been run for 10 years/100k miles and they are doing fine in many of our cars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.