Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 93 Caravan with a 3.3. I don't really know what you can do for upgrades or parts for these. Obviously the basics like CAI, exhaust, things like that. Are there any vendors that sell parts, or parts from other engines that will work?

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
need to do a search in here but people have mentioned the bigger 58mm TB and the later HO cams for the 3.8.

Then compression and porting and exhaust etc is normal. Small turbo and megasquirt?

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you can fit it under the hood, the 2001 heads/Intake package is a HUGE increase in power torque, along with the 2001 up 3.8 cam. You will need everything from the heads up. The intake used on the 2000 would be an improvement also. A cam would be a great upgrade, but to me it looks like an engine pull to do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What could I realistically expect for power with the 01 heads and intake, 3.8 cam, and a small turbo? Could I run just something like Apexi SAFC/Neo or E-Manage, and a RRR? Or would it be best to just go full out Megasquirt? If I do add a turbo, I'd only be running 6-8PSI.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
leave it stock and add a turbo, not a huge reason to do engine mods and the turbo. You'll smoke the trans before the engine tops out what it can make.

Add a small 46trim T4/t3 hybrid and megasquirt. Then if it spikes or you lose comtrol of the turbo on accident you don't melt the engine down or destroy it with fuel.

Otherwise you need to take a bunch of injectors from a 2.2 turbo basically and fit them in there with less fuel pressure. Then use a check valve or a few by the map. Then when ever the line is in vac they are shut and when ever under boost they come open. To make sure the map doesn't see positive pressure. Then the rise rate gain fuel pressure regulator is tuned to get your AF right. Which would all work at 4-6 PSI which would be plenty anyway. But if it spikes 15 PSI you could be done. You still won't have the spark curve either, you could add a MSD boost timing master to it. But after all that MS 2 and injectors is cheaper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What sort of options are there for the trans? Is there anything besides a 604 that will bolt up? I know you can beef up the A604's with newer hard parts and welding the pin, or putting a bracket on it. But is there a better transmission that I could use?

·
Registered
543 Posts
How much do you want to spend? You can gain 65 h.p. and 65 lb. ft. of torque by going to a 2001 up 3.8. The 41te guts are can be upgraded to be as strong as the 255 h.p. LH cars. Peloquin makes an lsd.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the newer 3.8 just drop in, same mounts and everything? Or is there some fabrication I would have to do?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Some fabrication. Pass side mount, and probably megasquirt. I am sure someone will soon tell you, a 2.5 turbo would be far simpler.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
Get a PT turbo engine and add the SRT 4 intake, gets you a SRT 4 engine for nothing in cost and add that with megasquirt. Cheapest and fastest

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
I was close.
oops, wasn't paying a lot of attention lol. It is a 93 van. it'll take the 3.8 pretty easy, I'd get one with a 58mm TB on it for the HO.

The other option is the 2.4 is a drop in van engine. So you may be able to get NA 2.4 mounts to add the PT turbo setup. In that case get the engine and trans and add the wiring with a stage 1 computer. GLHNSLHT2 got the whole engine and trans for a wopping $500 with everything, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a decent automatic that I can mate the 2.4 to? I don't really want to go through the hassle of putting a shifter through the floor.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
the PT version of the 604 is a lot stronger than the older mini vans, should be fine. Just live with a basically stock setup with a stage 1. My PT ran 14s stock, now I have the stage 1 and 4 more PSI roughly so we'll see this year. In a van with a good 2.5" exhaust and a lot better intercooler and the PT engine will fly. Any more though and you'll nuke the trans. There is always the 2002 Neon 3 speed too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I might look into the neon tranny, I would think it would have a bit more aftermarket support simply because it's a neon.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
There is a 3 spd that bolts to the 2.4 and it is the same 3spd that was bolted to the 2.2, 2.5, and 3.0 with different bellhousing patterns. It can be built to be extremely strong but very few people have any experience doing it. The information is out there on the forums if you really dig.

In my opinion the easiest way to make a 3.3 quicker is to modify the transmission. Thats not to say there are no options to improve the 3.3.. just that you can make the van go much quicker with a completely stock motor by modifying the transmission.

The 604 has multiple ring and pinion and transfer gear sets which you can mix and match to get much lower gearing. The stock van will have a ~3.61:1 diff ratio. You can drop that to 4.28:1 to the best of my knowledge. You can also use a smaller diameter, higher stall torque converter from another application to add a lot of punch at launch and part throttle.

The downside is unless you have mechanic friends who are comfortable swapping out these parts, you would have to pay a trans shop a pretty large amount of money to get this done. So it really depends on who you know..

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 4.28 is a north south Pacifica, but 4.10 or 3.90 are options. Free flowing intake and exhaust will help any engine. 58mm tb form a 3.8 is an option also. Exactly what are you looking for in the way of power? A mid 90's 3.8 with a 2001 up 3.8 cam and free flowing exhaust would be a huge gain in torque.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts