Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
My 91 caravan has a 3.3 bored and stroked to 3.8, it has a mild cam, the intake is ported and smoothed with a 60mm tb. Heads are ported and polished. Mopar tuned pcm installed. The tranny is a carefully built a604 with kevlar clutch packs, high-stall torque converter, and a shift kit.

For the exhaust i deleted the cat and ran 2 1/2 pipes to a muffler and out the back.

With the rear seats out i can run high 14's all day long.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Sounds good, got video, or pics of timeslips? Pics of the parts you modified?

What exactly do you mean by mopar tuned TCM? Im giving you the benefit of the doubt here, hopefully it goes well. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sounds good, got video, or pics of timeslips? Pics of the parts you modified?

What exactly do you mean by mopar tuned TCM? Im giving you the benefit of the doubt here, hopefully it goes well. ;)
The last the the van ran a legit 1/4 mile was in 2006. Its was brought to Milan drag strip along with a 91 turbo Shadow. The best run was in the ballpark of 14.58, the Shadow was running 12.3's.

The engine module had been re-flashed with different timing curves, and fuel mappings. My dad had it done at his work in Auburn Hills years ago when second gen vans were still desirable.:p

I cant provide proof atm, I'll just record a 0-90mph and post later.
:dancing:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Excellent, i'll await that video.

I may be VERY interested in that computer calibration you've got. There is another guy in Michigan up there who modifies computers for the rest of us and im sure he would be interested to see what was done to your van computer. I have a 90-91 3.8 car as well that could use some computer mods.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here's me screwing around on my way home from work tonight.

Full interior, spare, and a half tank of gas with the stock air box on. weighing in at 4300lbs.

She'll do a 15 right now.

My 14.6 run was with no interior, and no intake, and had 70,000 less miles. I think shes still doing fine:thumb:

Not exactly 0-90 but its something.
Video

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Well, it's hard to gauge from such short pulls but it does seems noticeably quicker than a stock 3.8 van and it certainly sounds better.

Can you tell me more about the cam?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, it's hard to gauge from such short pulls but it does seems noticeably quicker than a stock 3.8 van and it certainly sounds better.

Can you tell me more about the cam?
It was the stock 3.3 cam, that had metal welded onto it, the lift is .0020in taller that stock. The lobes were ground to be a little sharper.

You can really feel it when you get up in rpms. You also get a lumpy idle on a cold start.

Sorry i cant provide exact numbers, this was an undocumented build:shrug:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Cheezit: is your van a long wheelbase or are 2nd gen vans heavier than 1st gens for some reason? 4300lbs seems heavy. Mine weighs about 3200 according to the scale at the scrap yard and that's with me, tools, subwoofer etc...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine is the long wheel base. It weighed 4250 at the scrap yard with the third row seat taken out. I only weigh 190 myself.

I seen a Ford E-150 go up on the scale and was surprised to only see 5200lbs, those things are full frame big boxy dumpsters too.

Maybe their scale is broken, Ive been there quite a few times in recent years and get the same results every time though.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The van has probably lost some weight in the sheet metal department too haha.(rust)

I wonder myself now, Wiki shows curb weight at 3500lbs for "Grand" genII's

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
That's a good timeslip. What was the date on that one?

I think it has to weigh less than you are thinking. I have owned a couple of 2g LWB vans and i think they are closer to 3600-3800 most of the time.

My 1g 1990 4cyl/5spd with no benches in it was right at 3000 lbs according to track scale.

·
CoupleOvans
1,678 Posts
Here's me screwing around on my way home from work tonight.

Full interior, spare, and a half tank of gas with the stock air box on. weighing in at 4300lbs.

She'll do a 15 right now.

My 14.6 run was with no interior, and no intake, and had 70,000 less miles. I think shes still doing fine:thumb:

Not exactly 0-90 but its something.
Video
It almost seems slower than my 95 3.3L?
Not trying to be an ass, it just doesn't look like it climbs very quick, mine is running mild porting on the top end, big tb, cai, and full 2.5" catless.

·
CoupleOvans
1,678 Posts
I wonder if your mods are basically making up for the extra weight and less initial power. Mine being a SWB and a 95, started out lighter and making 12hp/14ft-lbs more in stock trim, so I'm guessing that's why.

I did a couple 0-80 pulls with mine just to see, lining them up with your pulls they look identical. video

Makes me want to take mine to the strip and see what it'll do.

·
CoupleOvans
1,678 Posts
If you can fit it under the hood, the 2001 heads/Intake package is a HUGE increase in power torque, along with the 2001 up 3.8 cam. You will need everything from the heads up. The intake used on the 2000 would be an improvement also. A cam would be a great upgrade, but to me it looks like an engine pull to do it.
How hard is this to do in real life?
My 94 3.8l needs HGs currently, I'm thinking about swapping to the 01+ top end for more power.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts