Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Cool project, I've thought about swapping a 3.3 or 3.8 into a convertible shadow I had, but I have too many other projects and decided to sell the car.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Nice to see some NA power put in a Daytona. Also due to a lack of garage, my project too is sitting outside and getting rained on nearly daily keeping me from it, so I hear you on that note.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's only been one day where it hasn't rained since I made this video. I'm expecting more rain tomorrow and the day after. I'm also looking into having a friend trade metal for the engine being pulled. If he's okay with it, I'm going to scrap the body (it's too dangerous to use anyway) and take the engine, computer, tranny, wheels, and badges. The rest he can scrap or whatever. We'll see.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still raining guys. This is the state of Missouri right now. A lot of roads are closed, all rivers are flooded, and most lakes are above even the boat docks.

http://imgur.com/a/i0XQE

I'm trying to find a garage to work on this in.

We're also expecting 8" of rain tonight. So far we've got 38".

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured out why the 3.8L was locked up when a belt was on it.

Water pump was crooked.

From it being bent it had been eating the inside of it.

My next project is to rebuild the starter. This weekend I hope to be driving it to a friends garage and taking the engine out. Over the next few weeks I'll be rebuilding the engine, as I'm sure the old owners overheated the thing.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
Ouch. At least now you know. Probably someone over-tightened the belt and wore out the bushing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Are you going to build headers? The reason I ask, is because I am having flanges laser cut for my 94 Lebaron/ 3.8 swap, and I could have them cut up a few more sets.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Alright, got a few more things done to it. Got the engine on a stand and I'm currently dissembling it. This engine is so tiny.

Here's how big the engine is with brake clean for scale.

And here's a 1991 Ford 5.0 that makes the same amount of HP and a tiny more torque.

Does any one know what kind of injectors I can put on this bad boy? I know if I plan on using that super charger I'm going to have to dump more fuel in this.

Also, what's the specs on the 2001+ cam? Just wondering if it's worth putting the new heads and cam on this.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't know what size the stock injectors are 19#? You might get away with some boost on those with a Rising rate regulator. What about the injectors from the car the blower came off?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the heads done! Shaved and valve job.

Sorry it's taken so long to do this. Now that Christmas is out of the way I can get the rest of my engine done. Rebuild kit and re-ring the pistons.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I should provide some more info on what's what. I took a lot of pictures while restoring it.

Here's the pictures of when I first got it. No fuel tank, no interior, and a really bad pant job.

Towing it home:

A day later:

Got it running shortly after that last pic:

Check it out, the transmission worked.

Re-did the headliner. Removed this ratty crap.

Unfortunately, I didn't get an after picture.

Prepping for paint

Primed

Factory paint

Done.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is after my family member destroyed the engine.

Burned the bearing up. I could have just restored it. Not sure what damaged was done to the crank, if any.

This is what gave me the idea to swap the 3.8L:

Daytona on Left, van on right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts