Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Go to fwdperformance.com a vendor that supports our forum and gives good service.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
an exhaust shop. heres why:

your exhaust will ACTUALLY, REALLY, fit, and wont rub on ANYTHING

you will get heavy duty hangers that will not allow the exhaust to flop all over the place

you will not spend anytime laying under your car getting undercoating dust in your eyes

you can enjoy watching someone else do all the work

·
Registered
751 Posts
idk where your going but it cost me close to $600 for all the TU stuff (including two $50 Dynomax bullet mufflers). As apposed to the $150 it cost me to get it done right by a custom shop because nothing fit right without "modifying" the bolt on... I guess it really depends on where you live and the local shops prices though.

EDIT: Dont take this as a DONT BUY type of deal, I personally just didnt care for the way it fit my specific vehicle, the parts otherwise are very high quality.

·
Registered
898 Posts
i dont take anything to the shop. as well as my 3in exhaust for my glh from tu went perfectly, i probably coulnt have asked for an exhaust that fit better.

TU FTW!!!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
the TU catback fits better or worse depending on what car you are putting it on. on my daytona, it did NOT fit well at all. may be a different story on another car.

lets see how much i spent

3" downpipe $99
TU 3" catback $150
3" empty cat $40
exhaust shop parts and labor to cut and weld things and make all the above fit with heavy duty hangers $130
6 stainless steel band clamps $48
lets say $50 in shipping for all the above
magnaflow muffler $50
3" tubing section from autozone $8

that comes to $575

now if the TU kit HAD fit, it would have cost me about $160 less..

MEH...who cares.

my exhaust is REALLY nice now and fits perfect and i can totally forget about it. plus its got those nice band clamps in the right spots so taking it apart or changing the cat is much easier.

·
Registered
898 Posts
dang, i got my whole kit for about 350 shipped, of course i dont have a cat or a muffler.

DP-100
catback-150
3 clamps-22
test pipe-10 (29 inch)
another tespipe- 16 inch

already had a S70 turbo with a 3in sv

·
Registered
264 Posts
I built mine, I'd say it is cheaper to get the bolt on system and less of a headache if you don't know what your doing with welding and stuff.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's true too, I have one guy that I have who is a family member who has a mandrel bender that i got to use for my side exit. Much easier to buy the bolt on system. They are not like body kits, the dealers are very good and the systems are made for the cars.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
I bought a daytona kit for my C-Jet (New Yorker) from TU figuring they should be exactly the same around the gas tank and over the axle which from the 2 ShelbyZ's I have sitting next to it look to be that way. Well I had to shorted the S pipe around the gas tank to try and get it to sit as close as possible, then had to cut the next piece in half, add 8" of pipe and it's still not perfect. Close but not exactly the way I want. I think I'm gonna take it off, cut it again and clock the last bend some more and weld it back on. But even though it's been a hassle I'd still buy it again probably. At least it get's you in the ball park with mandrel bends.

Right now it's an orignal Rick D 3" d'pipe, to 40" of napa 3" pipe, to the TU with an 1 1/2 taken out of the S pipe, to the next TU pipe with 8" added there(glad i bought 48" of pipe at NAPA) to the next piece of TU pipe to get you to the muffler(which I don't have) And then a 29" piece that Chris threw in the box(Thanks!) to get it out the back.

Funny thing is, it's quieter than my buddies Kcar wagon and he has an exhaust shop crush bent 3" system WITH a muffler!!!

The pipe TU uses is a thinner gauge than the NAPA pipe which makes it lighter. Very nice tubing.

Either TU's or FWD's is a good setup from the cat back. But be prepared to cut and hack it no matter who's you purchase. Just the nature of the beast. 3" is TIGHT in there. But once it's on mmmmmmmmmmm. That new yorker get's up and scoots now. Seat of the pants says 3 tenths off the 1/4 mile with just the exhaust upgrade and I had 2.5" straight pipe all the way back to the 2nd bend before the axle where it connected into the factory system and ran 14.3 on that setup at 15psi. So I think it's a high 13 second car now. Running 11.5-12.0 at WOT on the wideband with +20% FFV injectors on a stock 88 T2 calibration. I need to adjust it a bit cause they like to idle at 10:1 when cold and ignoring O2 output still. I also need to have the wideband run the car cause that factory O2 sensor is a POS making the car run 14.3-14.5 at cruise. Sorry, rambling.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
+1 on the modifications needed...

i spent three days laying under that car 3" above my face thinking i could SOMEHOW get all the chopped up curves in the right order so that nothing would hit...NOT happening

buy the kit, take it to an exhaust shop..your done

remember this applies to certain daytona's only...the kit might fit great on other cars

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Good thing about having an exhaust shop do it is they can weld and cut as they go.

Much harder when you make a cut, then try to get it to fit, then take it back down to bolt it together and put it back up again. Very hard to keep everything in the exact same spot.

It also helps to do it on a lift.. so that your suspension is not tweaked depending on where you jack the car up from.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
+1 * 100

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY

trying to do this with jackstands in the driveway is a NIGHTMARE.

at the exhaust shop they put the car 8 ft in the air and they can expand the ends of tubing sections which lets them wiggle the tube to make bizarre angles with ease. plus you get to look under your car and see whats going on at the same time. its the RIGHT way to do it.

someone really needs to make a cat back exhaust that DOES fit out cars with stock hangers and is just bolt on.. that WOULD be cool!!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
+1 * 100

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY

trying to do this with jackstands in the driveway is a NIGHTMARE.

at the exhaust shop they put the car 8 ft in the air and they can expand the ends of tubing sections which lets them wiggle the tube to make bizarre angles with ease. plus you get to look under your car and see whats going on at the same time. its the RIGHT way to do it.

someone really needs to make a cat back exhaust that DOES fit out cars with stock hangers and is just bolt on.. that WOULD be cool!!!
Alright, I see what you're saying and I agree. This isn't a driveway kind of job. They don't fit that well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts