Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, we were discussing holding the Cruiser to the "deep breathing" mods for sprightly performance and doing the hot rodding on some other (cheap) car. Here's something interesting...a crate 360 engine in an old Chrysler Laser, converted to RWD and 380 HP.

Hey, if they can do that to a Laser, why not a PT Cruiser? I plan to drop one of those crate 360's in my Super Coupe someday, BTW.

Here's the link:

Muscle Car Laser

;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think the Mopar performace catalogue has the parts to convert the Lazer to RWD and to swap the front end to handle a V8.

I haven't seen any real PT parts available in there yet though.

Steve

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
380Hp? Baaah! Just wait to see what Dr. Bob has cooking!

Brad

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
If they did drop 380 horses in a PT very few could or would buy it... It is what it is, a reliable fun car to drive, and that is what it was designed to be...

You want a 5.0 Mustang, then that is what you should get...

Back in the day, very few could afford the 375 horse 396 s/s chevelle, or the 348/409 s/s impala. Maybe 2 or 3 was driving around...

Everywhere on the TV you saw advertised the 389 Tri-Power GTO, I think we had 3 of those in town.

Same for the Hurst 442, everybody wanted, nobody had...

Crank up the tunes, get your best girl and Cruise...................

:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
PT "Guru" said:
If they did drop 380 horses in a PT very few could or would buy it... It is what it is, a reliable fun car to drive, and that is what it was designed to be...

You want a 5.0 Mustang, then that is what you should get...

Back in the day, very few could afford the 375 horse 396 s/s chevelle, or the 348/409 s/s impala. Maybe 2 or 3 was driving around...

Everywhere on the TV you saw advertised the 389 Tri-Power GTO, I think we had 3 of those in town.

Same for the Hurst 442, everybody wanted, nobody had...

Crank up the tunes, get your best girl and Cruise...................

:D
Well well I disagree! How much MORE fun is it going to be cruising with 300+ HP under the hood?! Yeah baby!
Bring it on.

Brad

·
Registered
236 Posts
the turbo lancer / charger, could get up there just as easy,
those 2.2 motrs are great,
you can run 15 lbs of boost not much problem,
with a bit of work you can go even higher, and be at 250-300 hp, with low money out put,
and be running 14-11 s,. depending,
, i had a turbo omni, and i did a lot of little stuff to it, cost wise maybe 300 dollars.
and i could take any stock mustang hands down,
and any stock camaro, also,
turbos are no joke, with the right motor,
the pt 2.4 though it is a sister design , isnt capeable of the sturideness the 2.0/2.2 is,
but, ehh,
any mods are cool,
joseph

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PT-Turbo said:
the turbo lancer / charger, could get up there just as easy,
those 2.2 motrs are great,
you can run 15 lbs of boost not much problem,
with a bit of work you can go even higher, and be at 250-300 hp, with low money out put,
joseph
I had an '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z and with the Shelby Performance Chip and the Shelby exhaust, I was running 15 psi and definitely smoking wheels. Mopar Performance has the Super 60 kit for the 2.2L intercooled turbo engine that hops it up to 300 HP. So, high HP in FWD has been do-able for some little time now.

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Powertrip said:
380Hp? Baaah! Just wait to see what Dr. Bob has cooking!

Brad
Okay, Brad, when I drop that crate mill in the Super Coupe, I'll come looking for Dr. Bob... }})

·
Registered
213 Posts
Uhh... I know this site goes for DC's throat alot but ..."back in the day", those who could not afford the Chevelle, Impala, or especially the GTO........ bought a Satellite or Coronet and wiped the pavement with those who could.

You want RWD and power cheap, buy an old Dodge or Plymouth "A" body and throw a big block or crate motor in that.

Keep the Cruiser for great looking transport.

:x Mopar :x

Oh and then you can really play with those intake spacers everybody loves so much.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
1st Wife had a coronet, with a 383 and could not figure out why she could not keep gas in it...

You are right though, plymouth and dodge were cheaper than anything else... Buddy bought a Dart 340 Six-Pack, for like $1800.00...

8o

Cruizin' Main Street on a Saturday nite :x

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iis2see said:
Uhh... I know this site goes for DC's throat alot but ..."back in the day", those who could not afford the Chevelle, Impala, or especially the GTO........ bought a Satellite or Coronet and whiped the pavement with those who could.

You want RWD and power cheap, buy an old Dodge or Plymouth "A" body and throw a big block or crate motor in that.

Keep the Cruiser for great looking transport.

:x Mopar :x

Oh and then you can really play with those intake spacers everybody loves so much.
Right you are, iis2see, except that I bought a Plymouth "F" body...

;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
1964 had plymouth belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed gas was 32 cents a gallon could afford to drive car at 10 to 12 miles per.. now 2.07 a gallon even 20 mpg it hurts...

·
Registered
413 Posts
currently building a super 60 motor for my '88 Shelby z Daytona,gonna add man's best friend, NOS and see what I come up with! }) }})

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nitecruzr44 said:
currently building a super 60 motor for my '88 Shelby z Daytona,gonna add man's best friend, NOS and see what I come up with! }) }})
Good on you! If I had kept my '88 Shelby Z, I was going to go that route--the Super 60 package (300 HP) anyway. But then I saw the PT Cruiser at a dealer and...well, you know the rest! |)

The guy who bought my Shelby Z is putting the Super 60 package on his car. He told me it's not cheap and it takes a bit of tweaking, but it delivers the goods.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those crate motors are also under rated as the March Mopar Muscle mag dyno showed.

They used a 750 Mighty Demon carb to the top of the other wise ready to go crate 380hp version....

407hp 5500
439fp 4100 ;)

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iis2see said:
Those crate motors are also under rated as the March Mopar Muscle mag dyno showed.

They used a 750 Mighty Demon carb to the top of the other wise ready to go crate 380hp version....

407hp 5500
439fp 4100 ;)
Exactly. }})

·
Registered
413 Posts
Big red is back together. M.P. computer, Super 60 injectors and turbo. Gonna see what she will do. Then it's off to the paint shop! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts