Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still want to keep the 4 lug 14" rallye wheels on my 82 Turismo. Looking at putting on the 4 lug shelby brakes or is there another alternative like the older minivan calipers that'll work?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
If you could find the drum setup from an 84 Daytona Turbo Z, it should work since they had the 15" pizza wheels with 4 lugs. But I am not certain. I am thinking that they are 220mm

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
the calipers wont bolt up im pretty sure, different enough. would go with drilled slotted rotors, those would help stopping, shelby chargers in 84 would be 4 lug but i think the brakes are the same as what you have as tho were carbed

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Too bad you want to keep the 14" wheels, you see if there is a set of 10.25" front rotors and use the calipers and mounting brackets from the Pre-90's Minivans. Which I do not know what the size of rotors that were used on the 84 SC. But the rear drums is what I was referring to, I am uncertain on the front.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i just changed the 5 lug on my rampage and i can tell you, it looks mean with 10.25 in front rotors and 15in CS lancer wheels

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You should see what it looks like with the pumpers ;) That is what I had on my Rampage before it got parted out may it RIP

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
never a fan of pumpers, the CS wheels were the only logical choice as i have crabs, ninjas here and i needed a 15x 6.5 that was black

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Not bad, I also dabbled around with centurion 2's that I pulled off a GLHS, and I really like the look of those.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
I still want to keep the 4 lug 14" rallye wheels on my 82 Turismo. Looking at putting on the 4 lug shelby brakes or is there another alternative like the older minivan calipers that'll work?
If I understand correctly, you don't really want to go bigger on the disc... just upgrade your calipers so you don't have to use ridiculously small pads.
Right?
well, the SC's use small pads too for some reason...

If all you want are bigger pads...
Grab some Kelsey-Hayes calipers and brackets from a later turismo (like an '85), buy the pads for 'em, and you're set. Just make sure the brackets are 'straight' where the caliper slides back and forth. Any irregular wear (caused by not using the hardware kit) will cock the caliper (KH only uses 1 pin) and the car won't stop any better. Be sure to use anti-seize on the pin and where the caliper slides on the bracket.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Too bad you want to keep the 14" wheels, you see if there is a set of 10.25" front rotors and use the calipers and mounting brackets from the Pre-90's Minivans. Which I do not know what the size of rotors that were used on the 84 SC. But the rear drums is what I was referring to, I am uncertain on the front.
1985 was the last year for 4 lug wheels on all cars/minivans except NA L-bodies.

I used 1984 caravan brakes and rotors on my L-body. worked fine but I had to do a little grinding on the caliper to clear my aftermarket wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
If you could find the drum setup from an 84 Daytona Turbo Z, it should work since they had the 15" pizza wheels with 4 lugs. But I am not certain. I am thinking that they are 220mm
any G body, minivan, EEK, or HD K-car (like a wagon) should have the 220 mm rear drums which will be a bolt on replacement for the 200mm rear drums original on the non-GLH/SC L-bodies

the critical part for this swap will be the backing plate, since you can buy the hardware, calipers, drums etc new

I am guessing (can anyone confirm ?) that the "spindle" is the same 200<-> 220 mm

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
And if that is the case, the 5 lug and 4 lug backing plate are the same, it is just the "spindle" that would need to be changed.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
And if that is the case, the 5 lug and 4 lug backing plate are the same, it is just the "spindle" that would need to be changed.
Really? hmm. good to know.
I thought it was just the hubs that were different.

seems un-Chrysler-like to use different spindles for everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts