Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone direct me to a site/picture or tell me how to make a 4 wire O2 sensor work on my car? (Unless '88 used them anyway)

I have an '88 harness and computer (from a SL) that plugs into an '87 bulkhead connector. I also have a TD model of the Dawes Device that I need to wire in as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
well the 2 white wires are power and ones ground the other is signal wire thats the one your a/f meter goes to. als when out and looked this is off of the 0/2 black sig. grey ground the to white wires are power/ALS

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
als said:
well the 2 white wires are power and ones ground the other is signal wire thats the one your a/f meter goes to. als when out and looked this is off of the 0/2 black sig. grey ground the to white wires are power/ALS

Actually no. There are two grounds, one power, and one signal.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, is this correct?

Wiring on the sensor itself (bought as '99 Intrepid unit)

White wire = heater
White wire = heater (one to 12v and one to ground obviously)
Grey wire = signal
Black wire = ground

There was resistance to the grey wire, meaning it's a signal lead.
That leaves the black one for ground to the sensor, but I didn't get a reading that it is connected to the threads on the sensor itself. :confused:

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Ean, when i get home, i will check out mine and see what i did.

·
Registered
953 Posts
hey in my FSM for 88 3 wire 0/2 said black is sig. wire / 91 powertrain 2.5l turbo 1 EFI{MPI} diagnostic proc. has the sig or output as BK/DG has BL/LB as sensor ground return, BL/TN asreference ground and last DG/BK as ASD voltage input i don,t have a 89 FSM so i still think my a/f meters run to the black one ALS ps the 91 FSM book is a lot more detailed than the 88 . it,s a must have if you got more than one car./van

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. Here is the result:

The factory style plug plus a single connector to lead back to the battery ground.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Black should be signal and grey should be ground, but there is no hard-core standard here. It depends a bit on the brand. I always plug it into a cut-off 4-wire pigtail and check the colors there. Black with a light blue stripe is always signal ground for us.

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
Thanks Russ.
I did as you said and now all is working good.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Alright...here's another question about this: I have an 89 turbo mini and I'm installing a 2.2 TII motor while my 2.5 gets worked on. Can I use the stock 4 wire O2 sensor with the 88 TII SMEC with no problems?

What is the difference between the 3 and 4 wire O2 sensors if both are heated?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yep, the O2 sensor element itself did not change in many years. You can put an 4-wire sensor on a 1-wire car if you add the appropriate circuits. Depending on the year, the electronics will likely not go into closed loop mode any earlier with a heater sensor because they use a hard coded timer. Later years actually check the O2 voltage and decide based on that. The net result is that the A/F guage will show full rich for quite a while after cold startup instead of slowly coming up to full rich over a minute or so.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, a new twist to the subject.
I was told by a fellow TD'er that you can't cut and solder the wires on the sensor itself, without effecting it's proper way of working.
I emailed a friend who's a mechanic by trade, and he agreed.

Opinions?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
the black wire ususally signal and the grey is return. if your sensor doesnt work, swap those two wires. :)

Yeah you can cut them as long as you crimp and/or solder and use a high temp, waterproof method to seal up the joints.

Brian

·
Banned
1,213 Posts
BlueBaron said:
Ok, a new twist to the subject.
I was told by a fellow TD'er that you can't cut and solder the wires on the sensor itself, without effecting it's proper way of working.
I emailed a friend who's a mechanic by trade, and he agreed.

Opinions?

You'd never be able to ad an A/F gauge if that was true.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DodgeZ said:
You'd never be able to ad an A/F gauge if that was true.
I figured it would hook up to the harness side of the O2 plug. Does it need to be attached to the sensor side?

·
Registered
104 Posts
BlueBaron said:
I figured it would hook up to the harness side of the O2 plug. Does it need to be attached to the sensor side?
I don't think it should make a difference - if something changed the voltage on one side of the connector from the other, the computer wouldn't see the same voltage as the sensor puts out, and that wouldn't be very accurate, would it? Anyone is allowed to shoot my hypothesis down, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Shoudn't this be in Engine management instead of here?
:confused: I understand that it is attached to the exhaust, but I think this belongs elsewhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a new sensor from a toyota corolla, its a 4 wire, would it work if i found the what was the right wires? On another note, how the crap do I get this sensor out of my car(88' daytona tbi). I cant get it from under, from above. Is it possible to get it out with out taking off the intake many? Also what is the advantage of a 4 wire over a 3 wire?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts