Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I put a good 413 in my 90 Shelby Daytona last summer. I've put about 15-16,000miles on it so far. Last night, the car started to shift funny. I knew because of the last tranny, that it was caused by a sticky kickdown lever. What causes this? This happened "ALL OF A SUDDEN". There was never any indication that the lever was sticking before last night. This is one of the things that riuned my last tranny. I didn't know at that time what was causing the weird shifting problems. I tried loosening the lever with a bit of WD-40. No help. Why do these trannys do this? What's the best way to free up this lever? I know the cable itself is freely moving. Any Ideas? Cliff?
Thanks,

·
Registered
788 Posts
Seeing that the battery sits right above that lever, it may have leaked some sufuric acid solution onto the kickdown lever (were you topping up the battery perhaps?).

You may need to take the lever out and clean the assembly. Part of the lever is internal, and not cleanable externally. I had this happen to my Omni and it was a pain.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a clean dry new battery. I did power wash the engine a few weeks ago when I was going to put on a new head. I assume the thing was TOO clean. I don't know. It's funny how the thing went from acting perfect to shifting weird, Instantly.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The kickdown (actually called throttle valve) rod rusts to the selector rod over time. If you remove both the TV lever, selector lever, and washer/e-clip, you should find the small rubber seal that likes to wear out. Be careful what and how much penetrant you spray, it can make it's way into the trans fluid.

If it's really stuck, your best bet is to get new ones and pop the valve body out to replace.

-Chuck James

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my old tranny in the garage. I think I'll take the lever off and see what makes it tick. Good time to take the valve body out and get rid of the rest of the tranny. I want to modify the old one sometime.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude! I have the exact same problem in my 86 Turbo Z A413. Sometimes it will shift late and sometimes it will come out of gear when rolling to a stop. Then again, sometimes it will shift as smooth as butter. Is that what yours does? Thanks to Turbo Charger for bringing this to my attention. On mine, the kickdown lever is really hard to move by hand. Im going to shoot it with some penetrating oil and see if that doesnt free it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts