Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought an 87 Horizon that may have tranny issues or possibly just needs a clutch. I believe the tranny is a 465. If I find (cars not here yet) the tranny is bad, how much different is the 525 from the original. Are the cases the same? I have a couple 525's lying around here. How much difference would the mileage be with a 525 instead of the 465? I hear the 525 is a quick ratio tranny compared to the 465. Hopefully it just needs a clutch, but am curious.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If your car's an '87, the trans is a 525. The 465 was discontinued in '86. The 525 is a close ratio version of the 465. Final drive is either 3.56 (turbo), or 3.87 (NA).

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? The owners manual (1987) says that there were 3 trannys it could be and one of them was a 465. The ID tag on top of the tranny isn't there. Unless I forgot where to look for it. I never did see a place to screw down the round tag.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
If your car's an '87, the trans is a 525. The 465 was discontinued in '86. The 525 is a close ratio version of the 465. Final drive is either 3.56 (turbo), or 3.87 (NA).
525 came with a 3.05 differential in the NA omni's 465 was really only 83/84 the 3.87 was NA shelby only.

the 460/465/525 never used a round ID tag. they all used a rectangular ID tag on the differntial cover

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The Mopar FWD Manual says that " '86 was the last year for the 465. '87 was the last year for the 525, and that year it was L-body only, the other cars got the 520 or the 555".

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had an '88 Omni 2.2 FI 5-spd., and I thought it had a 525. I know in '87 the P-bodies had the 520 with its' redesigned & stronger diff bearing design, but I -(like you)- thought the L-bodies carried on with the 525. Must be a misprint in the Mopar FWD Manual (GOD FORBID)! Come to think of it , they had to have the 525 with its' old style diff bearings, because only the late '80's L-bodies w/auto used the new axles.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little off topic but is the Horizon in nice shape?
Not too bad, Ryan. Needs tires, clutch?, shock/struts and a battery. But otherwise, didn't get driven in winter, the first 19 years of it's life and has 45,000 actual miles. The floor looks pretty good as far as I can see without jacking up the car. I've wanted to get a carbed 5 speed L-Body for quite some time. I saw this on Craigslist. I was a couple days late responding to the ad. Luckily, he hadn't sold it yet. I paid $500 for it, but with those low miles, I think I did OK. :D Now, lets see what the neighbor says about it. I may get rid of the Sundance, but not sure. I have so much in to it just recently.
I guess I was just assuming it was something other than a 525. I do have a spare or two if it turns out theres a tranny problem. The guy I bought it from doesn't know too much about the car, but did say that someone told him it needed a shift fork or something like that. He wasn't sure what he was told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts