Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAs anyone put a 4BT/4BTA in a Dakota and been driving it for a while? If so, what kind of mileage do you get and what does it top out at?

Also, does anyone know anything about the A series cummins diesel engines? Are they powerful enough to run an Omni or Shadow at 80mph?

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Are they relatively tuneable? Can you make more power and get a few more rpms out of them?
my friend installed a 4bt in a chevy suburban and in a military blazer. he claims to be getting mid to upper 20's fuel mileage. I always thought if chrysler was to put the 4bt in a dakota, I'd buy one. never figured out why they didn't after all the success with the 6bt in the full size trucks.

· Registered
16 Posts
A Local farmer had a bit tooooo much time on his hands and put a smaller cummins into his Mazda that originally came with the V6. They had to make up a custom adaptor/bell housing and a few other custom pieces for the install. I'll have to ask him for some more details not what i know more people are interested.

LC

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my neon has a highway gear in it. Came from the factory w/ 3.55:1 gear ratio for the final drive. I was thinking i could put some larger tires on it (It came w/ 185/55r14s), maybe some 165/65R16s, that i could make my car cruise a little better on the highway. maybe make better use of the torquey A series. I know they go up to as big as a 2.3 so if I need to, I can probably tweak the pump and injectors, make a bit more boost and runs a 100gph lift pump on it, it'll make more than enough HP with the larger displacement L4 to do what i want it to and more torque than I'll probably ever have enough traction to use.

· Registered
335 Posts
my neon has a highway gear in it. Came from the factory w/ 3.55:1 gear ratio for the final drive. I was thinking i could put some larger tires on it (It came w/ 185/55r14s), maybe some 165/65R16s, that i could make my car cruise a little better on the highway. maybe make better use of the torquey A series. I know they go up to as big as a 2.3 so if I need to, I can probably tweak the pump and injectors, make a bit more boost and runs a 100gph lift pump on it, it'll make more than enough HP with the larger displacement L4 to do what i want it to and more torque than I'll probably ever have enough traction to use.
:confused::confused::confused:
i dont get the relationship between neon tires gear ratio and a cummins 4 bt?

there's a lot of guys that have put a 4bt in a dakota. i've seen at least 1/2 dozen on ebay over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.