Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAs anyone put a 4BT/4BTA in a Dakota and been driving it for a while? If so, what kind of mileage do you get and what does it top out at?

Also, does anyone know anything about the A series cummins diesel engines? Are they powerful enough to run an Omni or Shadow at 80mph?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i know some about the A series cummis.the eng. does not tune that much rpm so it would have to have highway gear in it.also they don't have alot have hp but there is alot of ftp

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Are they relatively tuneable? Can you make more power and get a few more rpms out of them?
my friend installed a 4bt in a chevy suburban and in a military blazer. he claims to be getting mid to upper 20's fuel mileage. I always thought if chrysler was to put the 4bt in a dakota, I'd buy one. never figured out why they didn't after all the success with the 6bt in the full size trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A Local farmer had a bit tooooo much time on his hands and put a smaller cummins into his Mazda that originally came with the V6. They had to make up a custom adaptor/bell housing and a few other custom pieces for the install. I'll have to ask him for some more details not what i know more people are interested.

LC

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my neon has a highway gear in it. Came from the factory w/ 3.55:1 gear ratio for the final drive. I was thinking i could put some larger tires on it (It came w/ 185/55r14s), maybe some 165/65R16s, that i could make my car cruise a little better on the highway. maybe make better use of the torquey A series. I know they go up to as big as a 2.3 so if I need to, I can probably tweak the pump and injectors, make a bit more boost and runs a 100gph lift pump on it, it'll make more than enough HP with the larger displacement L4 to do what i want it to and more torque than I'll probably ever have enough traction to use.

·
Registered
335 Posts
my neon has a highway gear in it. Came from the factory w/ 3.55:1 gear ratio for the final drive. I was thinking i could put some larger tires on it (It came w/ 185/55r14s), maybe some 165/65R16s, that i could make my car cruise a little better on the highway. maybe make better use of the torquey A series. I know they go up to as big as a 2.3 so if I need to, I can probably tweak the pump and injectors, make a bit more boost and runs a 100gph lift pump on it, it'll make more than enough HP with the larger displacement L4 to do what i want it to and more torque than I'll probably ever have enough traction to use.
:confused::confused::confused:
i dont get the relationship between neon tires gear ratio and a cummins 4 bt?

there's a lot of guys that have put a 4bt in a dakota. i've seen at least 1/2 dozen on ebay over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts