Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.9L cummins engine vehicle and everytime load is given via accelerator high rpm's on idle or under high load there is a loud high pitch bearing noise that i cannot isolate from engine area. My first thought was turbo and i have confirmed with great expense this was not the case. Anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am having the same problem with my dually. i have noticed that taking off and changing my intake from the stock airbox to a cold air style intake helped to get my boost back but the noise is still there. if you find out anything please let me know. will keep posted anything else i find out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am having the same problem with my dually. i have noticed that taking off and changing my intake from the stock airbox to a cold air style intake helped to get my boost back but the noise is still there. if you find out anything please let me know. will keep posted anything else i find out

I have recently solved my problem. I don't know if this will help. But i found a slightly loose exhaust manifold bolt which was causing the high pitch noise under load and high rpm. You can try to tighten each manifold bolt slightly and see if you get any movement, if so it may be worth while to replace the gaskets as this is what i have done and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the tip. i was getting ready to buy a new turbo, i will check that first thanks. was yours also sounding like it was winding down when you let off of the throttle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey thanks gary, what you told me was exactly the problem. i went out to my truck and checked and i'll be damned if there wasn't three bolt loose on my manifold. running like a champ now. just wanted to say thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to the site ,my 2005 3500 is making the same type noise but it only does it when you have it under a load,could it have the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All, I am a newbie on here. I have a 1996 Chevy customized dually with a 1992 12V Cummins 5 speed with a Gear Vendors Under and Overdrive and exhaust brake. Under load at around 2000 rpm, I get this very rapid swooshing noise. Really sounds nasty. Could this be the same thing? When it happens, I downshift and noise seems to go away at about 2300 rpm and above. Thanks, CM

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I'll join in with the rest of the posters here. I have a 94 Dually with the 5.9 and get the same "sounds like a bearing but not/mixed with a high pitch shreek. But mine is pretty much constant and very audible at an indle. I'll have to check my exhaust bolts and see if thats a problem. BeEn this way for over a year, doesn't seem to affect anything, nor has anything failed, but the noise and not being able to pinpoint it is really ANNOYING

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 06' that is making more of a hollow air sucking sound. If you were to blow air through a 4" pvc pipe that's the sound. It goes from the turbo whistle to the sucking sound at about 2000 rpm under a load (41' living quarters horse trailer). It also doesn't seem to have the punch it once did. I have a s&b cold air intake, 4" exhaust, and an Edge w/ Attitude programmer. Haven't checked the manifold bolts yet but did find a loose clamp out of my intake box. Wasn't the issue.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I finally found out what my squeal was. It was the idler pulley on the fan belt. I never could really pinpoint the screech. Well it finally froze up. LOL New one on, no more screech. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gonna wake up a moldie oldie

I have excessive engine noise from my 5.9 as well.

I have an 03 3500 that has recently gotten loud. It's just a standard loud engine noise. It starts to get out of control around 1600 RPM and up. Of course, Cruising speed. It literally drowns out the radio at 70

The mods are turbo upgrade from a stock 341 to a stock 351, BD intercooler, and a Pusher air horn. There's more, but that's what would matter. The truck is pushing 25 MPG. I checked for leaks, loose bolts, everything. It seems to be louder on the left than the right side.

It's not a whoosh, a tic. It's like you were sitting under the hood. I installed a hood pad from Dynamat too. It's just a loud fast running diesel noise. All other systems are OK. I thought maybe I used the wrong weight oil, and changed it. It only helped a little.

Any ideas?

Darn thing really needs another gear

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2003 dodge 5.9 2500 last year I had the whistling noise. it would happen only when the boost kicked in over 2000 RPM. if I let off on the gas it would stop.

this was caused by an air leak after the turbo thats why you can only hear it when the boost kicks in. 15 PSI + HOLE = whistle

My first leak was a rubber hose coming off the turbo connecting to the intercooler. Check by the air intake hose after the air box right where it touches the rubber turbo hose. the two rubber hoses rub and it will wear a hole in the turbo hose it's only a matter of time. (that stupid hose was not cheap like $180) Duck tape work for a while.

now I've got the same noise different leak I'm going to check those manifold bolts but I'm sure it another air leak some where.

LONG STORY SHORT DON'T!!! change your Turbo IT's not the problem.
DON'T!!! BELIEVE ANY Mechanic until you've check those hoses

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 04 that sounds like the same problem except it is only audible when decelerating from 60 mph at about 1200 rpm and at an idle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 dodge diesel 3500 cummins. When I PUNCH the accelerator or push the gas to go fast quickly, I get a continuous squeaky sound, until I back off acceleration. I drive normal I don't here the sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 03 ram 3500 5.9 diesel sounds like 2 spoons hitting together at idle and goes to a squeaking sound when driving and gets faster with more speed..a friend of a friend said it could need a rocker adjustment but I'm new to diesels and it sounds normal to me

·
Registered
3 Posts
did yowhat the problem was ? mine is doing it after the intercooler pipe jammed into the turbo outlet with a front end collision, replaced everything including the hose, all tight but makes that progressively louder sound during accelleration

1 - 20 of 22 Posts