Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a neutral saftey switch issue or is this normal? Car starts up fine without pressing in the clutch... 86 CS daytona btw

Ryan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Honestly i would unhook the clutch safety switch anyways. If you think about it you are applying all of the pressure from the pressure plate to a cold thrust bearing with minimal lubrication on it. I know it that the chances of it spining the thrust bearing are extemely small but it will wear the thrust surfaces and create ecessive crankshaft endplay faster than if you are not applying that pressure. Just get used to starting it in neutral.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It may not be normal to crank without the clutch pushed in. Years ago not cars had clutch switches but too many idiots were starting there manual trans cars in gear and the cars were taking off. So they were forced to put these switches in for safety. I don't know what year this all happened but many have been disconnected. They should have figured out a switch for having the trans in nuetral instead of the clutch switch. We how have cars (on the roads) that use hydraulic clutches and if the hydraulics fail and the shifter is in gear while the clutch is pushed guess what it takes off too. I'm from the old school of manual trans before clutch switches and always make sure the shifter is in nuetral before cranking the engine.

If you would feel better with one look under the dashat the clutch pedal and seeif your car had one and someone bypassed it.
Tim

L

·
0 Posts
ALL TDs 91 and older will start w/o the clutch being pushed in. Both my Irocs(92,93) had the clutch safety switch but that was one of the first things to go(besides the airbox and converter:D) So I would guess they started doing it in 92. Anyone have a 92+ something other that a Daytona that has the clutch safety switch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts