Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what type of trans. fluid is best for my 85 Shelby Charger. Regular or synthetic? What are you guys using? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Opinions very greatly on this subject but I think most of us would agree that the 85 factory suggested fill of ATF is not a good idea. It is too thin and tends to leak past the seals. The factory switched to a 5w/30 NON HD non-synthetic engine oil in later years to help reduce leaking past the seals. You do NOT want to use synthetic engine oil, it is too slippery and MAY cause shifting problems because the synchros actually need some friction to spin up and create a no-grind shift. Redline MTL and GM or Royal Purple Synchromesh have also all been used with typically good results. For my dollar, I think that the 5w/30 or 10/w30 NON-HD regular dino based engine oil works just fine and I tend to feel that the factory engineers knew what was best to make the tranny last as long as the warranty or longer.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i normally dump what ever i have laying around in.
I normally have some 10-30 in random bottles around..
castrol. and penzoil.
Last time i had to BUY some i got a quart of 10-30 royal purple to top off after putting in an axle.

even tossed in some 5-30 and 5-40 in one before.
I have used penzoil synchromesh before but I was worried about us having brass synchros.

its quite a hot topic around here. lots of emotion. lots of "old" ideas that are still clung too. lots of outdated info too. lots of opinions with no basis that gets blended into other peoples past experiences.

but it comes down to fluid wont save a bad tranny and most fluid wont make a good tranny act bad.. if it does you need to go to the opposite end of the spectrum. if you were using synthetic get regular. if you were using syncho put in oil. if you were using regular try synthetic.

I am pretty nice to transmissions and have never had a problem with one. I normally use synthetic when i "change" fluids on a cars. many times i will just "top off" with regular stuff too.

good luck man.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Just wondering what type of trans. fluid is best for my 85 Shelby Charger. Regular or synthetic? What are you guys using? Thanks.
I assume you are talking summertime driving. I recommend Mobil 1000 5W-30 as it is cheap, works well and you can buy at CT. Every few months it does on sale.

In my 520 not all 5W30 had similar shifting feel. Jackson suggested Mobil 5000 but Mobil 1000 acts similar in my MTX in an A vs B comparison as I am in Canada and cannot easily buy Mobil 5000. I did buy US Mobil 5000 for my experiment, Castrol caused grinding in my MTX.
When the weather is 20C or better most oils will be fine, the difference shows up below feezing due to viscosity changes

If you are run a Daily Driver like me in Canada, you may want to blend like I do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can I join in with the same question?

Here in Sweden I just cannot find 5W30 mineral in regular shops for my A555. Just finished a clutch change, did nothing to the tranny except new in/out seals.

What the shops offer:
5W30 fully synthetic
10W30 mineral
5W40 fully synthetic
10W40 part synthetic

Car is not driven in winter time.

Should I go for the 10W30 mineral then?

Thanks //

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The thickest non synthetic you can stand is my opinion.

The int. shaft lubrication is marginal at best and viscosity helps in this area.

I have #40 in my car right now but its not winter driven.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts