Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching draw through setups . I was thinking about buying a 5200 Holley from a Svo mustang for my draw through setup I'm toying with. Is the 5200 vaccume secondary? Because I have read the 5220 is . How does the 5220 secondary work and will it work on a draw through setup if I hook the vaccume line up under the carb where the turbo intake is will it pull enough vaccume?

I'm not sure how these carbs work and need guidance. I diddnt think 2 barrels had secondaries? Also what are the cfm rating on these carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The 5220 is a mechanical secondary carb. The 6520 is a vacuum secondary carb.
And yes, they are progressive carbs. On the 5220, the primary opens to about 3/4 before the secondary starts to open.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1979 4 cyl turbo mustangs were draw through. Idk if they called them Svo yet but essentially that's what they where. Also could the 5220 be used or vaccume secondary's a no no.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
A lot of stuff you are asking on here you are going to have to experiment for yourself. I believe you were told that from the get go.

Nobody on a TD forum is doing a blow through, or suck through system with a carb. It a crude setup, that will most likely fail to perform. There is no good way to control boost, or fuel mixture. You are more than likely to toast several sets of pistons trying to get it right. There are too many good donor cars where you can get the entire EFI /turbo setup from. That's why nobody does them.

Not trying to be rude here, but when you go against the flow, your going to have to figure it out on your own. There is a reason nobody does what you are trying to do... What do you think the chances are of you finding a decent carb for a 79 turbo Mustang? A lot worse than finding a decent 5220....:shrug:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well rock auto has them refurbished for 135$ . as far as the draw through design goes I have to disagree with you . Vw bugs use these setups and they haul a$$. Sure drivability is not as good but honestly this is going to be a track car so it will be floored most of the time. Either way I did buy a parts car and the electronics failed. So full mechanical setup doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Not only that but I think it's kind of innovative what I'm doing. If this setup works all these carb guys looking for more power will have a blueprint for a very simple turbo setup that anyone can do in their garage without an abundance of knowledge on the Efi system. So call it what you will but chances are this setup will require a lot of tuning but in the end should run good

·
Registered
705 Posts
A lot of stuff you are asking on here you are going to have to experiment for yourself. I believe you were told that from the get go.

Nobody on a TD forum is doing a blow through, or suck through system with a carb. It a crude setup, that will most likely fail to perform. There is no good way to control boost, or fuel mixture. You are more than likely to toast several sets of pistons trying to get it right. There are too many good donor cars where you can get the entire EFI /turbo setup from. That's why nobody does them.

Not trying to be rude here, but when you go against the flow, your going to have to figure it out on your own. There is a reason nobody does what you are trying to do... What do you think the chances are of you finding a decent carb for a 79 turbo Mustang? A lot worse than finding a decent 5220....:shrug:

Take 83 scamps advice. It will save you a lot of headaches, time and money!

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Well rock auto has them refurbished for 135$ . as far as the draw through design goes I have to disagree with you . Vw bugs use these setups and they haul a$$. Sure drivability is not as good but honestly this is going to be a track car so it will be floored most of the time. Either way I did buy a parts car and the electronics failed. So full mechanical setup doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Not only that but I think it's kind of innovative what I'm doing. If this setup works all these carb guys looking for more power will have a blueprint for a very simple turbo setup that anyone can do in their garage without an abundance of knowledge on the Efi system. So call it what you will but chances are this setup will require a lot of tuning but in the end should run good
And the chances of Rock Auto actually having that carb when you go to order it are pretty slim. Tried that once with a rebuilt 5220 through them. Got the email the next day that my order had been cancelled because the part was unavailable, even though it said they had it...

Also, I know all about your "parts car" You bought an 84, which is a bastard year with a ton of one year only stuff. When you started working on it, everybody told you not to waste your time, and you didn't listen to anybody in that thread either....

You want to go this route, more power to you, but understand you're not going to get anybody's help, because all the guys on here that know what they are doing, know not to go down the road you are taking...:shrug:

Again, not trying to be a jerk about, just stating the facts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well this Critisims really arnt helping bud. If you don't have helpful input and your just going to deter me , just don't post on my thread. You keep saying not to be a jerk...... Well that tells me that you already know your being abrasive. Everyone has been pretty nice expressing their opinions even if they don't share mine. Sorry I don't have the money to buy another entire parts car . I'm trying to the most I can with the knowledge I have. And do me a favor and don't bother replying to this. You have said enough

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hey there bildenn89.

I'm curious if you tried the 1979 Mustang Turbo carb on your project??

How about an up date, was discussing a S/C 2.2 draw through and remembered this.

Did you get the Rock auto carb?? I hope the caustic criticisms didn't deter you!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts