Turbo Dodge Forums banner

5226352 L-body Quad Solenoid Pack Part 4: Complete Disassembly

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GLHS0815 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok here's the complete disassembly of the 5226352 Quad Solenoid pack.
This is the unit that came on all Turbo L-body cars from 1985-87*

*NOTE: The 1986 parts book lists the '86 GLHS as using the 5227333 Dual
Solenoid pack. I've seen photos of an '86 GLHS with the Quad, so this may have been a production change to the Quad after the book was printed.

What I found is that all 4 solenoids have the same internal mechanical parts.
They are all mounted identically ( see photo lower middle left ).

The only real wear items are the tiny O-ring seal that attaches to the larger internal portion of the metal port, and the copper spring the mounts to the bottom of the plunger.

The plungers have a good plated surface and survived well.
The delicate springs were all in good physical shape without corrosion.
They are mounted to the plunger with the smaller end of the spring.
The O-rings all passed the leak test.
In the non-energized state, all 4 of the solenoid packs are normally open between the middle and bottom ports, and normally closed to the top port.

The rubber back bumper just needs a good cleaning.
The top plate had the heaviest rust, but can be cleaned up.
The solenoid cages have light to medium corrosion.

All in all, these can be cleaned and put back into service.
The only non-serviceable part would be the black plastic encased coil.
If you have an impedance meter, go to Part 3 of my post and measure them all, against my results.

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome write up and I am sure this will be very helpful to those who either want to clean up the brackets, or need to replace/swap a coil.

If I can get a hold of a dual coil pack, would you mind testing those coils to see if they could be used to repair a quad setup? I would assume they should work fine. I am thinking the dual pack may be more readily available than the Turbo quad coils since they built more N/A cars and they may be a cheaper option than a quad pack if we needed to cannibalize parts to get a Turbo setup working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.