Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its an 88 shadow. when my buddy had the car he swapped it to the 523 trans before he destroyed the motor.

should i get a built one? if so form who? or should i just send it out to be rebuilt and get a LSD? is it worth spending money on a 523 or should i get a better tranny? the better ones would be 568 and 555 right? which one is better? which one will hook up to the cables and stuff that i already have for the 523?

any tips or info would be great

thanks,
nick

· Banned
1,701 Posts
its an 88 shadow. when my buddy had the car he swapped it to the 523 trans before he destroyed the motor.

should i get a built one? if so form who? or should i just send it out to be rebuilt and get a LSD? is it worth spending money on a 523 or should i get a better tranny? the better ones would be 568 and 555 right? which one is better? which one will hook up to the cables and stuff that i already have for the 523?

any tips or info would be great

thanks,
nick
My tip would be to put another of the same transmission and stop beating the $hit out of it. You would be amazed at how long stuff lasts when you take care of it and your fuel milage will also improve dramatically.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stop beating on it!!??? thats why i built this car! lol
the shadow is my toy. i beat on it, stuff breaks, i save up money, fix it, and repeat.

the first trans blew the input shaft seal and the bell housing cracked all the way from the block to the seal. i got the tranny form a junk yard out of a 92. it already had a whine to it when i put it in. i just needed one so i could drive the car. but its getting to the point where im gonna need a trans so i need to know how to spend the money

· Banned
1,701 Posts
You take the transmission to someone that knows WTF they are doing and have the BEST of every part put into it no matter what the cost. Hell, take it to Quaife and have them do their magic inside the case. You'll have the best f'n trans on the planet.

· Banned
1,112 Posts
um slight problem with doing the 568 hybrid- good luck finding a donor trans! im pretty sure it was only in the TIII cars. besides if you do find one they'll prolly be more expensive than finding another 523. i can find decent 523's at the local pull-it-yer-damn-self junkyards for 60-70 bucks all day long. expect to pay around 200 or more for a 568. plus you dont have to change anything, just drops right in. you said the tranny you have in there now was whining from the day you put it in there, tells me it was bad before you ever put it in the car.
this is what id do in your situation
get a 523, as low miles as you can find.
pull it apart and replace all the bearings.
add a limited slip if you want one
drop it in with a fresh TIII clutch.
fill with 5W-30 synthetic blend motor oil
enjoy.
i thrashed on the one in my shadow for years before it started to whine, so its a pretty durable trans as is- over 280,000 miles, still shifts smooth, just makes a lil noise
i put one in my lebaron to replace the 520 that was in there and i love it. plus if i wpe it out i wont be searching high and low to find a 568, just go to the yard and pull another 523 for 70 bucks.
the money you save can go towards new axles which im sure you prolly need as well.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
I think the 568 transmission is just an ego trip. I do not see what all the hype is about. The 1992+ 523 transmissions are plenty strong and you can get a torque biasing differential for less than half the price that you can get one into a 568 trans. The 568 trans has a four pinion differential, so it is stronger in that respect, but thats about it. I have one of each, and had a few 543 transmissions. The 543 is the same as the 523 (except for the V-6 engine). They've all performed flawlessly for me.

Sure you have enough fluid in that transmission? That'll cause it to make a high pitched whine. Usually what causes them to go ca'put is running them low on fluid.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the first thing i did was check the fluid. it was fine, but i keep a quart in the car just in case. I didnt really trust the trans when i put it in, but i needed to drive the car the next day so i figured any tranny that wasnt cracked open would do the job lol but then i just drove with it for a while. so far, the people around here have said the same thing.. just build a 523. mine doesnt whine really loud so im thinking pull it apart and see if its still good enough to use. the limited slip is a good idea, where can i get one? whats a good brand?

· Registered
3,453 Posts
I've been looking through forums and mailing lists for several years, and I have not stumbled upon anyone who has actually broken a 523 transmission. I'm sure it has happened, but then I've seen someone who broke a 568.

Some have said that the 568 is better because it has hardened gears. Heck, all transmissions need hardened gears or else they'd wear out mighty quickly.

The best limited slip would be the Quaife torque biasing differential. But that costs over $1,100. The next best (only other option actually) is the OBX unit that can be had for less than $500 shipped to your door. The quality is not up there with the Quaiffe, and it looks like it was made in a chineese sweat shop. Our vendors sell them now and they go through them to make sure they're defect-free. Our vendors market them for our use, but officially they are for the 1st generation Neons but work very well. Mine has several thousand miles on it with zero issues, zero complaints. During normal driving, you don't even know that it is there. But the first time you give it hell around a tight corner such as a crazy U-turn, you will learn that you have to force the steering wheel back to the straight ahead position rather than just letting go of it unless you let off the throttle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.