Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my hands on a 52 MM throttle body out of a 98 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Liter. Its going on an '89 Daytona Shelby 2.2.

Questions:

My stock TB has 2 VAC ports but this 52mm has 1 port. How do still utilize this TB when it only has 1 VAC port.

When mounting the 52 mm to the stock manifold, obviously the intake opening in the manifold is stock and only flows so much air, no matter what TB you have on there. I want to port the opening of the manifold to allow more flow through the 52mm and in the manifold. Is that even necessary to do or will the 52mm flow enough air that its not necessary to port the manifold ?

For those that did this swap, Did anyone have any issues with their stock sensors swapped over to the 52 mm TB? Did it affect engine performance.?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The two ports on top are for the vapor canister. I just eliminated it on my car. You can do the same as long as you don't have to worry about emissions checks.

You will get varying opinions on porting the intake. Some say it's not worth putting a 52mm TB on unless you port, some say they see gains.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I recently got my hands on a 52 MM throttle body out of a 98 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Liter. Its going on an '89 Daytona Shelby 2.2.

Congratulations

Questions:

My stock TB has 2 VAC ports but this 52mm has 1 port. How do still utilize this TB when it only has 1 VAC port.

run a T.. plug things you dont need... I hope this is something you can answer by looking at it.

When mounting the 52 mm to the stock manifold, obviously the intake opening in the manifold is stock and only flows so much air, no matter what TB you have on there. I want to port the opening of the manifold to allow more flow through the 52mm and in the manifold. Is that even necessary to do or will the 52mm flow enough air that its not necessary to port the manifold ?

I would suggest porting the intake to match the 52mm throttle body.

For those that did this swap, Did anyone have any issues with their stock sensors swapped over to the 52 mm TB?
no issues here.
Did it affect engine performance.?
None noticed.
Good luck!

·
Legendary Driver
10,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Moparkid2.2 View Post

Congratulations

Questions:

run a T.. plug things you dont need... I hope this is something you can answer by looking at it.

!

Can't just run a T. 1 of those ports get's it's signal from in front of the TB blade and the other get's it from behind. Weird that the 3.3 only had 1 port. Every 3.3 I've noticed always had 2 ports like the turbo cars. Maybe someone swapped one off a 3.0. Maybe it somehow got a 58mm TB. Pics of your TB?

I'd go find a dual port off a 3.3 if you really want to run a 52mm TB and keep the stock vac functions.

On a 1 piece intake though you won't find a gain if any being that even after porting the neck of the TB is still smaller than a stock 46mm TB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts