Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm a newb on the site, but was looking for some advice. I have purchased a '54 Belvedere coupe from a fella that has been storing it for the last 35 years. I originally bought it to drop a small block into, but it is so complete, and in such good shape that it would be a shame to change it. The problem is the 110 hp 230 flat six engine isn't enough get up and go for our long narrow stretches of highway. It's a big car to get moving fast enough to overtake another vehicle. I am not looking to make this into a super fast sleeper. I just want enough horsepower for good drivability and road manners. I'd like to turbo it to hopefully bring the hp to about 180-200. Any advice or other threads I should be watching? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Wow! Welcome to the forum.

This is definitely an interesting project idea. But yeah as said previously I don't think this is something that has been done around here very much. Most here work with the 80s and 90s chrysler 2.2/2.5 turbos.

It would be an awesome project if you go through with it.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
sounds pretty neat, keep us posted with some pics of the build as this is pretty interesting

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've seen this done over at forums with amazing results. By doing a quick google search i found a few builds, so I'm sure there is some sort of market for these motors.

I say fab a exh mani, get a t3/t4 hybrid turbo, should be plenty for decent prices. Just stay away from ebay/chinese crap. After that all you need is the piping and intercooler. You can either make a custom carb hat/plenum or you maybe able to buy one, I know they have them for my Holley 4 barrel carb. You would also have to modify your carb if you chose to stick with a carbed motor. Or you could megasquirt it. I think that covers the very basics of what you need.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ok here is some very helpful info

Turbo Article

Basically they took the turbo off a motor that most people run on this site. It was a mitsu turbo. However you really should get something bigger. I feel like the garrett turbo (also stock, but bigger than the mitsu) is still to small for you, but a much better choice than a mitsu. The dual turbo seems like it would be too much fab work and not worth the gains (if any).

You can always run a Holset!!!!!!

Hope this helps! and keep us posted with pics!

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
The turbo you need is the one that was on Buick Grand Nationals.You can run this as a wet system like the old Corvairs,but I wouldn't recommend intercooling it like that.You can get carbs and hats set up for blow thru and then you could intercool it. Either way it's not a real big job.I used to see a book on how to do this in Hemmings Motor News but it has been a few years back.

The turbo article above is very good. Note the 4bbl draw thru.

I sold a 6 cyl to 904 v-8 adapter to a guy that was also doing this to his old flatty and was going to put an A500 behind it. Sorry I never checked to see how this worked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts