Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an oil leak underneath my 90 GTC-VNT, and it looks like it's coming from behind/above the oil pan area, and likely the transmission, as the areas above/backside of the block/turbo are dry. It's sat for probably the last 10 years with little use. Are there potential areas that have been typical trouble spots for transmission leaks in that area? It's not coming out of the crankcase/oil pan area, as the oil there is still full. If so, is it typically a relatively inexpensive fix with seals and such and are they still available? And once I have it repaired, I'd like to upgrade the lubricant within the trans, it's typically been 10-30 engine oil, is that correct? Any knowledgeable help would be most welcome, thank you.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
The only seals in that area would be the rear main seal and the input shaft seal.
You will not now which without removing the trans.
You can add UV dye to the engine or trans and then check to see if the leaking oil glows under the UV light which will tell you where it is coming from but the trans still needs to come out to repair.
Also be sure your leak is not from the turbo drainback tube and running down the block in that area.
The trans uses 5W-30 engine oil.
Some have used Syncromesh with good results.
Do Not use synthetic, the syncros will not operate properly from the reduced friction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so here's another question which may help diagnose...the car leaks while sitting in the garage, after NOT being driven out of the garage, just after starting it and warming the engine up. So, is removal of the trans a labor intensive job, as in billable hours? I certainly appreciate your knowledge and help, thank you. It does look as if there's a drip on the driver's side shaft.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
If you are not doing the work yourself then it can be expensive to R+I the trans.
If it is the rear main seal and/or input shaft seal and oil has gotten onto the clutch disc then the clutch would also need to be replaced.
My suggestion is clean the underneath of the car of all oil/grease, add dye to the engine oil, let the car run and then sit until oil leaks and then use the UV light and glasses on the leaking oil.
If it glows yellow you know it is coming from the engine because that is where you added dye.
Use the UV light and glasses to trace the oil leak up the block to its source.
You can purchase the dye at any parts store and you may be able to rent the UV light at Autozone, if not buy an inexpensive one, it will work on all UV dyes for A/C, Engine Oil, P/S, Trans. Cooling System.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...clamshell/_/N-265k?itemIdentifier=667635_0_0_

Quest/UV pen light with batteries and glasses (438) | UV Light and Accessories | AutoZone.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts