Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've taken my Jeep TB apart a bit trying to figure out why it's sticking all the time. I know with our 48 and 52mm TBs there's a little slit at the end of the shaft for a C clamp type thing to hold the shaft firm but this one doesn't have it.[See pic]. But when it's in the TB with the throttle plate screwed in it shifts left to right and causes it to rub the edges and stick... so... do all Jeep TBs do this or is mine just... special?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
that is a bit odd. i would see if the web has an exploded view of the TB. there has to be something to keep the throttle plate from rubbing. also have you dissembled it before? if so is it possible the plate is installed incorrectly? if the plate was installed incorrectly the blade wouldn't seat right and cause it to stick.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been looking for a little bit and I can't find a worthy photo or image of the throttle body to be able to tell. I have taken it apart, the shaft was apart when the cable mounts for our cars was welded on. The plate doesn't look like there's a certain way of putting it in, and even so it's almost like it's simply not wide enough to prevent it from moving left to right. Unless there was a slight difference between Jeep TBs in 4.0Ls in certain years. My shaft that was first welded had a problem so I got another one and used it. So maybe if there was a difference there, that could of screwed it up but so far I can't find any.

·
Super Moderator
11,868 Posts
ah ha - you mixed and matched parts from used TB's (?)

I did that once - took two perf good TB's and made one sticky TB out of them

mine eventually loosened up but I wouldn't promise it would always work out that way

I have a therory that as they are used they become "matched parts" due to ware and mixing them gives you a bunch of parts that bind as they are worn in different places

could be the shaft bent from the heat and isn't straight as you think it is also

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Have you been able to duplicate the sticking outside the car?

How much material did you take from around the area around the throttle shaft. I always take the least I can and I can see too much material allowing the shaft to wander too much...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both shafts were from a 4.0L Jeep so I was hoping there would be no difference. Maybe that's what it is. I can duplicate the problem with the TB off the car, that's how I noticed it shifting. Doesn't look like much if anything has worn off inside the TB and I haven't bored it to match 60mm all the way through yet either

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
your throttle body has shaft play lmfao

isnt there little seals on the ends of the shaft that could be replaced

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.